Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweet spot

Talking Sweet spot

Price / performance for an upgrade, I've been out of touch about tech for a while,

Currently have an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W setup, looking at:

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
    $299.00

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage, HDMI, DP, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2
    $189.99

G.SKILL Sniper X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C19D-32GSXKB
    $139.99

MSI Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 RX 570 8GT OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (Uses x8) HDCP Ready ATX Video
    $134.99

I have an Antec 900 case,850w Corsair power supply, a 500g WD black M.2 drive, 2 PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5" SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drives, AMD wraith cooler.

Also have a Turbo Radeon HD 6850 DirectX 11 video card so I don't know if the one I chose is much of an upgrade from that. Also have all the other odds & ends I can think of

I've spent my "allowance" (and then some) and need some opinions before my wife "needs" something before I "just want" a better computer" since my 3 year old system still works so why do I need an upgrade?....
    Need to know suggestions in respect to better components for the same price or same for less money. I figure I should be able to get a stable 4.2 - 4.4ghz without any heat issues

Let me know as soon as you can so I can spend my $ before my wife decides we need to get a new fridge and stove and couch to replace the ones we bought last year..LOL

Thanks in advance!!!

MJ

Update / bump

The motherboard is no longer in stock at newegg but I found one at a company called NextWarehouse for $40 more...anyone heard of them? ...come on folks...that' the third thing out of 4 I;ve had to ghange our of 4 & killing my budget & I want to get this ordered ASAP,,,just let me know if you're looking or don't care or what..is there a better category I should post this??? Someone that knows another site I might find this mobo? Can someone take a minute and let me know to go for it or wait until you can research this a bit??? You guys are far more up to date on hardware than I am so I;m trusting SOMEONE can give me some advice!!!!....sooon please already lost on some deals and will lose even more soon...
    )>> Thank you in advance<<<(

Man, used to be you guys would reply pretty quickly with suggestions or rate the choices...either I picked the best for the money or it's too much trouble to type a few words....sad...
    PS I found that mobo at a better rated site for a few bucks less but I have to jump on all the parts while they are still available so it'd be nice to know what you guys think......couple of minutes of typing, is that too much to ask????

Thanks in advance!!!

Morning, just got here. Site's rather slow these days ... like me.

Everything looks good, but fair warning, up until now I've always been an Intel guy.

Nextwarehouse is safe to use.Amazon, Newegg and BHPhote are usually cheaper though.

TomsHardware.com still has their "Legacy GPU Hierarchy" chart up here:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html
    Scroll down to the "Legacy GPU Hierarchy", about 1/3rd down the page.
    And yes, the Radeon RX 570 is several layers up from your older Radeon HD 6850.

Not much help I know. Hopefully someone else with more experience with AMD setups will drop in here soon.

Newegg is out of stock on all of the 570x chipset boards except the AM4 PRO WS X570-ACE ATX Workstation Motherboard at $402 bucks...little too steep for my uses, BHpote has the 570x tuf gaming pro wi-fi for $199 but "notify when available" is posted also, I saw some bad reviews for nextwarehouse and they wanted like $239 for it. I found a site (with good reviews) called Bottom Line Telecommunications, Inc. ( shopblt.com ) with free shipping ( +$2.00 "handling" ) which is $0.45 more than newegg but they order from the MFG when orders are placed so they give a 15 day ETA but at least they promise to get it to you unlike other places that won't let you order until they have it in stock...also I can cancel free of charge up to the day they notify me they have it in the warehouse ready to ship.....better a bird in the hand kind of thing ya know....as an intel guy do you know of an intel CPU with a higher end Asus MOBO that meets the performance & price point of $500.00?...I'm open minded but AMD O/C's quite well so it's a little hard to nail down just what they actually will perform but it's a lot of fun dialing them in!...

also I changed the RAM to: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 Timing 16-19-19-39 from the sniper @ Timing 19-20-20-40 for $14 dollars more.
    So if you don't mind, give me an Intel chip that stacks up to the Ryzen 7 3700X at around $300 & I'll see if there's a MOBO for it with all the features of the Asus board I have picked out for anywhere around $200 & I'll consider going Intel....
    Thank you for letting me know that there's no red flags you see...nothing major I missed that you see either I take it also?

P/S I have Win 10 PRO USB with 3 upgrades to install on it (2 more upgrades left) so the OS will be up to par with the system also.... like I said, it's been a while so I want to make sure all of my ducks are in a row...lol

Anyone else PLEASE drop in and let me know what you think, I want to order this by yesterday!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

×AMD Ryzen 7 3700X × Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Price $294.14 BUY NOW! $379.99 BUY NOW!
    Socket Type AM4 FCLGA1151-2
    CPU Class Desktop Desktop
    Clockspeed 3.6 GHz 3.6 GHz
    Turbo Speed Up to 4.4 GHz Up to 4.9 GHz
    # of Physical Cores 8 (Threads: 16) 8 (Threads: 8)
    Max TDP 65W 95W
    Yearly Running Cost $11.86 $17.34
    First Seen on Chart Q2 2019 Q4 2018
    # of Samples 3935 3445
    Cross-Platform Rating 41959 27094
    Single Thread Rating 2683 2919
    CPU Mark 22711 14673

guessing the Ryzen 7 is the sweet spot?

Yep, sure looks like it.

Doesn't look like you're missing anything either: Motherboard, CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard, mouse, whatever drives you want and an OS.

...Ordered....Thanks Doc...

I decided to give you my two cents, so here it is, I'm still running an FX-8350. and felt no need to upgrade to a Ryzen. Basically because I'd have to change to new DDR4, and update/upgrade my video and PSU. But I guess it depends on what you use your computer for, like mine the only thing I use it for is working online and processing my photos I take with my Pentax cameras.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mj2469 View Post
    ...Ordered....Thanks Doc...
    You're welcome.

Guys, what can you say about the quality of Asrok motherboards?

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    I wanted to get an opinion based on personal experience.

However, keep in mind that "Opinions are like bums – everyone's got one."

Dravaas - do you know any members on this site??? Or in theory is getting feedback from here really any different that from Google?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."