Thread: Laptop won't turn on

Laptop won't turn on

This is windows 7, Gateway NV 53 15.6 HD-LED-LCP
    500 GB HDD---4 GB MEMORY
    MULTI IN 1 CARD READER---I took the top (lid) off because I thought the wire in it may be broken but it wasn't. So I have no idea why it wont turn on. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Pull the battery and try booting up using the AC.

Sometimes, the AC connector socket just wears out, the battery goes dead and although the laptop is fine inside, it can't start.

Fiddle with the AC connector. Is it loose?
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'll check it out but doesn't seeming thanks for the help. like it. I tried the other taking the battery out and just plugging in but still won't turn on, any other ideas,

That's a sure sign that either the power supply is dead or the connector socket is broken. Since the connector seems tight, my guess is that that you need a new power supply.

You can either get a new one from the manufacturer or get a cheap replacement. Search with Google for your model and "power supply". Ebay is another source for a used one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_k1d2b45xj_b
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 08-02-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

You can test the AC adapter/Power Supply with a multimeter to see if it's supplying the correct voltage. If it is, the next step would be to test the AC adapter socket on the motherboard to make sure none of the solder joints and/or internal parts are cracked/broken. If there is damage, replace the socket and you should be good to go.

Note that a damaged AC adapter socket is a fairly common occurrence on a laptop. To help avoid this problem, when inserting or removing the AC adapter into the socket, push it straight in gently, without wiggling it up, down, left or right.

well, the socket is good, so I have no idea what else to do

If you're certain the correct amount of power is reaching the motherboard, then it sounds like a bad motherboard.

How did you verify that the socket is good? Is the power supply supplying power? Are you sure?
    MS MCP, MCSE