Thread: Printers Keep Going Offline

Printers Keep Going Offline

I have a D-Link Router, DIR-825, Hardware Version B1, Firmware Version 2.06NA. Network security is WPA. I have checked for a firmware update, but there is none available.

I have two printers connected wirelessly to my computer
    1) HP LaserJet 200 color M251NW
    2) Brother MFC-J6710DW

My computer is an HP ENVY 700-216 Desktop P with the AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon Graphics, 3.70GHZ, 12.0 GB RAM running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, 64 bit operating system.

The two printers are constantly going off line for no discernible reason and only way I am able to solve this problem is to reboot the router.

This is a fairly new router. However, it seems that I need to reboot it several times a week as other devices on the network, such as our phones, will suddenly be unable to connect to the network.

No settings change on the printers when they go offline. Therefore, I think it is something in the settings on the router, but I have no clue what to look for to change it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

D-Link Router, DIR-825, Hardware Version B1, Firmware Version 2.06NA. Network security is WPA... This is a fairly new router.
    The DIR-825 came out in 2008. You should be using WPA2 if possible.

Do you have the router on a UPS? Power sags can affect routers.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the router is on a UPS. I am a firm believer in them.

I will check to see if I can utilize WPA2.

We have VOIP through a linksys adapter/router and it's picky about what it will and will not work with. I've had problems upgrading my router in the past because of it.

And I know that the DIR-825 has been discontinued. I am NOT looking forward to having to replace it.

Ah. Well, I don't use VOIP, so I'm not sure about that.

When did you purchase the router?

You should do a site scan to see if there are other Wifi networks around and which channels they are using. If your neighbors are using the same channel as you, that could be a problem.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html