Thread: Strange images on monitor

Strange images on monitor

Hi. Something is askew with maybe my monitor or video card or something else. When I load up windows, my image/desktop wallpaper/anything else imagey squashes down to less than half the usual size and shivers and shakes for a long half-minute or more before popping back into its normal size. This goes on over and over again and only sometimes stops long enough for me to do whatever I need to do at the time. What on earth is going on? Is my monitor dying? (it is very old) or is it I need a new video card (also very old). I played with the monitor buttons and tried to get it back to its proper proportions but that only made it worse when it straightened out again. Please let me know if it is fixable and how to. Thanks very much.

What is the make/model of your monitor? From your description, it sounds like a bad monitor. Try swapping the monitor. If you don't have a second monitor, see if you can borrow one.

If the old monitor is bad, just get a new one. It's not going to be worth fixing, even if you can find someone that repair monitors.

Thank you for responding. My monitor is a plug and play CRT 13 " 60 hz called a "Komodo". I got it around 1995 or so. :/ What would be the best type of monitor to get these days? I don't have a lot of money and need something that will work with my old system, which still runs Windows XP. Thanks for all the help.

It's almost 20 years old? Just replace it. It's amazing that it lasted that long.

You can get an LCD monitor with a VGA connection. That would still work with XP.

I found the problem...the main cable in the back is very loose and there's no way to fix it because it's part of the monitor. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look around.