Thread: windows 8.1 will not launch apps

windows 8.1 will not launch apps

I got a Gateway NE56R41u about 4 months ago. It has win 8.1. Up until 2 days ago, it was working perfectly. I got the message that I need an update on java. I clicked to update it. It installed two additional apps Spyware Clear and Tech Hotline. Now when I boot the computer, It will open to the desktop but no matter which icon I click on it just sits there with the blue wait circle going around. Eventually I get the message that the pc is not responding. The only way to get out of it is to press and hold the power button. I can't figure out how to reset it to an earlier point. I am stumped. Please help.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I can't get any further than the desktop. If I click on anything, the wait circle just goes around until I get the message that the pc is not responding. The first screen is a black screen with Gateway on it. The second screen is my picture password screen. Then the desktop comes up. I just can't do anything as the icons just do nothing but show the wait circle.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    SAFE MODE too?

I can't get to any place were I can type msconfig.exe. I can't get to control panel. I get as far as the desktop and none of the icons will launch.

I wonder if it would let me install win 7

I am now refreshing the laptop following the directions you sent me. Thank you for your help. I sure hope it works!

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    It should!