Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extremely long defrag-time on external usb-2.0 -drive-1TB

Ultimate Member

Extremely long defrag-time on external usb-2.0 -drive-1TB

Every time i am defragging my photo and video-files(plus other files) on my external usb 2.0 it takes extremely long to be finished. Defraggler is about to work almost 24 hours. Whats wrong? Yes i know, if there is not enough space left it could last. around 340 gb of 1000gb are left. maybe better evaquating a 320gb-drive-backup from there.
    When should i stop saving data onto that drive?
    Will new much speedier processor speed things up? cpu passmark 4000 versus 400(now)-Dualcore winxp 4gb.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Switch from USB 2 to USB 3.

Remember USB2 is slow.

Ultimate Member
    If only the WD My book cases would be easy to open.
    Could have attached it to one of my sata-slots for that procedure.My MOBO is usb 2.0 only. Have only one esata-slot which is used for the second external. How about adding pci-esata-card?
    I have an orico 8512 series docking station with esata and ubs3.0. drives lying flat. if no pci-esata-card is here it could be used if the esata-external is not involved. I would then get a second one, using one for temporary work.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That would be faster.

Ultimate Member

Situation worsened

Still as usb 2.0-drive using defraggler, situation has worsened. Maybe because i interrupted eighter long defrag or chdk at start i have lost data.
    1. intererrupted defraggler when drive was usb2.0.
    2. removed drive and mounted in docking station with esata. Then all of a sudden chdk wanted to repair. Maybe due to interrupting endless repair i mixed up data. later i recognized that this process will really end...
    3. When i had access-problems with docking-station i tried on slower sata-slot with no success. It hand at start.
    Then i switched to second sata-slot and saw the found000 folder and lost or found files(chk). the single chk-files cannot be associated. data can be found in the other folder. But one main folder is lost....
    I should have used the external drive attached on the slow sata-slot permantently but then it had lost its task-using it on two pcs. but i had given this up it was only an emergency idea when one pc is defective.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Tip: If you abort CHKDSK or Defrag operations, your risk irretrievably jumbling (losing) your data.

Ultimate Member

Surprise-All data reconstructed by selfhealing chdk-Winxp i love you forever

Only temporary lost of data.
    1. changed to a speedier processor. Has nothing to do with this.
    2. During start i let the system run chdk. and Bingo:
    It seem all data are reconstructed. only some unimportant files are saved as .vir-files in found.002 and found003.folders.

Unsolved: Data-access only in administrator account.
    on restricted account: all folders are called empty
    how to solve this?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

1) As CHKDSK and Defrag are moving files and/or folders around, they also have to update the index as well. (Where the operating system keeps track of the location of all of the files and folders on the hard drive). If you abort this process while they are in the middle of making this change, the index is now wrong and the operating system has no idea of where all of the pieces of the file(s) and/or folder(s) are located.

2) When either of these programs are running they read the contents of the file up into memory and then write it back down to a new location on the disk. If you were to simply turn the computer off before it's had a chance to finish write process, whatever was in memory is now gone.

Ultimate Member
    Still need to know how to get access in restricted account. maybe i will give admin.rights temporarily.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    In restricted account i have no access to the external drive which was discussed. Drive is shown when attached to main quick SATA-slot 2. access denied.
    Will now try using it in esata-docking-station. will also try usb.

Other problem
    2. Using the slow SATA-slot drives are not booting. system hangs. all things are set right in cmos. tried AHCI with no success.
    Could it be WD-driver is interferring? It had been installed for using it in mybook-enclosure.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    This bad Drive behaves the same no matter which boot-drive is used and no matter if attached to SATA2-II, SATAI or esata: in restricted account-no data-access.
    Other drive is ok.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

If you also cannot can't access it from another computer, sounds like a bad drive.

Ultimate Member
    I HAVE data-access but not in restricted accounts. Thats the problem. the chkdsk-problems were the reasons.
    meanwhile drive is attached with usb3.0-cable. Thats the way normally mybook-drives must be attached the first time. it will then be recognized. After that one can switch to esata. Installed sata-driver(AHCI) to have hotswap-option. maybe i am totally wrong and this raid-driver is not needed.

After seeing my account freezing i removed them have new ones. everything ok. during this procedure one can establish access to data on restricted accounts by other users. i have done. seem nothing to do with the main problem.
    Could be the solution(sorry its german):
    Es erleichtert dir die Arbeit insofern, dass du nun nur noch die einfache Dateifreigabe deaktivieren (Systemsteuerung > Ordneroptionen) musst, um das Feld Sicherheit in den Dateieigenschaften anzuzeigen. Dort kannst du dann "Jeder" vollen Zugriff geben.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    xcacls x:\*.* /T /E /C /G Jeder:F /Y

(wobei x das externe Laufwerk ist) sollte es auch tun! Natürlich brauchst du dafür Admin Rechte.
    Last edited by europanorama; 11-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Share it with the restricted accounts. And give them permission to use it.