Thread: Destroying hdds/cds/dvds the easy and secure way- Be aware of possible plastic discs.

Ultimate Member

Destroying hdds/cds/dvds the easy and secure way- Be aware of possible plastic discs.

1. Get tools to open hdd-body. Torx-screws are sometimes hidden under tapes. torx 6,7 and 8 would do.I have bundle of torx 5 to 10 drivers.
    2. get those cd/dvd-paper-eneloppes which one can then wrap around single cds/dvds. dont use the plastic ones which one cannot be closed firmly enough.
    3. Some discs of hdds are of plastic and one cannot know beforehand. Always use enveloppes.
    4. get a simple vice. no need for a heavy one. And no need for a hammer. in contrary that could be dangerous.
    5. mount the enlopped disc into the vice and push it against the ground.
    Disc will eighter be bent or will split up.
    IMG_0772destroyed_hdds.jpg
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    If vice is fixed use a tool to bend the disc. dont use these plastic enveloppe used for archives. they cannot be closed firmly enough. there would be a big mess when plastic disc is will split up.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Hard drive platters are usually made of either metal or glass. Plastic would probably not be stable enough.

Ultimate Member
    Ok a collegue told me he is destroying the cds/dvds by cutting in a little piece on the periphery with a sidecutter/seitenschneider in german. i think the glass-platters would brake immediately right?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Yes, but you don't necessarily need to remove the platters from a hard drive to destroy them. That's way too much trouble.

For a CD/DVD, I simply grab one flat between my thumb and fingers and start bending it in half until it snaps. (My hand is down in a trash can of course). Probably snap 20 to 30 per minute.

Ultimate Member
    Collegue telling the same, not totally destroying to leave it in the recycling circle/spindle. But the station is telling to leave it in the universal section. so at the end it will be seperated anyway. Here a new fine-seperation-station will be installed. Very little investment.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Someone else is using a side-cutter(seitenschneider in german) to cut only a small part at the periphery of the disc. In our recycling station(not the one in the shops) they will collect the disc in universal section anyway. so no need to preserve. but i will try what he told.
    The second part is only a report about the construction of a new recycling -system to seperate already stored stuff.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch