Thread: Printers on Terminal Server showing as REDIRECTED or (from <pcname>)

Printers on Terminal Server showing as REDIRECTED or (from <pcname>)

I have a terminal server that when I login from various workstations, I sometimes see a ton of additional printers other than the ones I expect that either say REDIRECTED or (from <pcname>). I've attached two screenshots to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

Here they are as well ... this one shows (from ASSISTROOM):
    printers FROM PCName in list of printers.jpg

The PC Names that are listed here are other workstations on the network. I understand that. But, *why* are these showing up like this on other workstaitons as available printers? This is causing a lot of consusion. Why do these appear? And, how can I make it so they do not?

And, this one shows the REDIRECTED ones:
    redirected printers.jpg

And, the Redirected printers are also showing up a lot on some workstations. I'm not sure *why*. Most times if one of these is chosen by a user, it will not print. Why do these appear? And, how can I make it so they do not?

Workstations are anything from WinXP to Win7
    Terminal Servers are 2003 and 2008

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

A short answer is that your users should set their default printer on their local pc before connecting to the TS.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Figured out the redirection portion of the problem .... Termanal Server has a setting in Terminal Server Configuration >> Double Click the RDP-TCP in the "Connections" Section. Go to Client Settings. In the Redirection section, Tick on Windows Printer to Disable the Redirection from client.

I do think the other issue is due to network printers being "shared" on some workstations as Steve mentioned.

Thanks much!

That would be Doc's idea about unsharing

On my five TS machines we've enabled "Fallback" printers. It makes the list of printers even larger But it also helps the odds of getting a user to be able to print.