Thread: Reverse caching proxy for home use

Reverse caching proxy for home use

So, I've stumbled across an idea for my parent's home as they have a terrible internet connection and substantially more people loading it down than it was ever intended to handle. I've been picking at the idea of setting up a caching web proxy. The idea being, of course, that if I could store more content locally as everyone pulls it down it would take the load off the internet connection as to limit the amount of unique content everyone must download.

However, that introduces some cavaeats. Namely, dynamic content such as youtube video streams. I've seen methods of caching that as well. Of course, that introduces some risks such as incomplete video getting dumped into the cache and breaking things for others, and determining exactly how long any of that content is valid. In fact, determining how long any regular content is valid is somewhat of a toss up, too. Plus most sites are full of dynamic content that isn't just video which makes me wonder how valuable a cache would be. It almost seems like it could easily become an impedance by introducing a delay to updates to dynamic content.

Then there is the subject of what services to use for this. I considered just using nginx, but configuration was a bear and introducing varnish for the cache and using nginx as the service seemed a more viable solution. Perhaps there is better options out there? I'm looking for free, of course.

Anyone have any experience setting these up? I've Googled as far as I can but I'm lacking the statistics I need to even determine if this is worth the effort.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

I must also add that content filtering and whatnot isn't a consideration here. There is so little bandwidth to split that maybe one person could adequately watch youtube videos like its 2006 at one time. I can't QoS that limitation away and there are no reasonable service providers nearby that will provide a better connection.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

I suppose I'll update this myself since nobody had any ideas. I tested the theory, but I found that we weren't quite sharing as many of the same resources all the time as I would have hoped, so it had minimal effect if anything. Perhaps it would have more utility in a large scale corporate environment, but not at home.