Thread: Windows 7 - System Event Notification Service

Windows 7 - System Event Notification Service

I have a Dell E6410 laptop. The computer was purchased with Windows 7. I used it to test Windows 8 and 8.1 for my organization but due to some driver issues I ended up going back to Windows 7 64-bit. I formatted the PC and installed Windows from scratch. After install I noticed logging off would take forever. I installed updates to see if they would help but the problem continued. I have set up the laptop with all my company software and updates and the problem continued. I turned on logging and after some troubleshooting determined that the system event notification services (SENS) was causing the system to hang at log off. I disabled the service and rebooted. I have tested reboots and shutdowns and the problem is gone with this service shutdown.

Does anyone have a good article or information to share that will help me determine why this service is having issues. Some of my reading indicated that a memory leak could be to blame. I did notice prior to disabling the service I had three instances where my computer said I was out of memory. I was asked to close Outlook 2013, Dropbox, and Lync in each of these cases.

I just have not seen this issue before and so many websites state how to disable the service when I look for info. I am not sure which keywords to use to get better results.

Thanks.
    -- Mathias

What is the exact error message? Can you post a screenshot?

One fix says to reset the fontcache. Another says to reset the winsock stack.

https://support.soluto.com/entries/2...-Service-Error

http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/01/26...windows-vista/

There are no errors or messages displayed. I went into the group policy editor under Computer Config->Administrative Templates->System and enabled the "Verbose vs normal status messages" setting. This enabled me to see the system hang for several minutes at log off or shutdown at the messages "Waiting for System Event Notification Service". I have attached a screen shot.
    sens.jpg

If I disable the service the shutdown process takes almost no time.
    -- Mathias

Ah. I thought you looked at Event Viewer on the laptop.

Make sure the Dropbox client is up to date. Current stable version is 2.6.31. Try updating that first. I know people have complained about Dropbox eating up a lot of ram before.
    https://www.dropbox.com/release_notes

Lync is part of Office 2013. Did you look for any updates or patches?

Other than that, you can try the two links I posted.

I did look through the event viewer. The only warning at shutdown is one generated by my wireless card. I am going to format my system and start over. I keep crashing with memory errors.
    -- Mathias

Ah ok. Definitely run Memtest86+ and a hard drive diag before you do a reinstall.

There were no hardware errors in my testing. I did perform a re-install. So far I am not having any of the same issues. I have kept track of my setup process (software installs and updates) and the order they are complete testing between applications. I have about 30 applications left to install. I am going to run for a while before I add anymore apps to see if the issue is corrected. If I see the issue again I will try the fixes you posted again; they did not help before the format.

Thanks for the ideas.
    -- Mathias