Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Issue

Laptop Issue

My sister was having laptop issues, it was out of warranty, so she took it to Best Buy where she bought it. They said she needed a new drive and the cost for all their work was expensive so she got a new laptop. She gave me the laptop & I have been playing around with it.

After starting and the desk top shows, she gets a BSOD that says IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL more often than not. I connected the drive to a SATA port on my home PC and can access it with no issues. I put it back in the laptop and could successfully run CHKDSK and nothing was repaired. Looking around the web seems this could be caused by a driver, so before buying a drive I wanted to see what is going on. I was able to turn the Windows Verifier on and now have bunches of dump files. My understanding was that these would point to the driver causing the issues, but need to know what can read these files. One thing I read said Microsoft SDK, but I'm afraid that is a little over my head.

Any thoughts on what else may be able to read these files?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5311, Windows 7, Premium, 64 bit.

Thanks
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

I already replied to the other post. Run a hard drive diag first (the extended/long test, not just quick/short test). Chkdsk is not enough.
    If the hard drive passes diags, then you can look into software fixes.

http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php...ad-a-Bad-Drive

I'll have to check what kind of hard drive & also see if there are any diags Toshiba has for it.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Last time I checked, Toshiba didn't have their own diags. They only had diags for Fujitsu branded drives.
    http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-s...ware-utilities

That's why I said to run Seatools if it's a Toshiba branded drive.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    20 minutes right now checking that drive can save all kinds of headaches and maybe days trying to install the new OS. Been there is why were are saying tto check it.

No problem, I understand the logic. I have downloaded UBCD, the ISO program, and have the laptop set for booting to CD. Gonna try to get to this tomorrow - need some sleep about right now.

Thanks again.

Well, I tried both versions of SeaTools for DOS on the disk & both said it couldn't find a disk controller. V2.23 does bring up a new grey screen for the drive list & it is empty, the bottom half says no controller found. Makes me think this may not be a Seagate drive. Thinking of attaching this to my home PC on a SATA port & see if there is a difference. Here is a pic of the drive if that helps any.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's definitely a Toshiba drive. Seatools will work on any brand of drive. It sounds more like a driver issue.

Go into the bios and see if there is a "IDE compatibility" or "legacy" mode for SATA. Enable that setting and then boot to Seatools again.

I changed the BIOS setting & that worked. I ran version 1.12 for DOS, chose the long test, and said it passed the read scan. The only other thing it said was LBA 976771072 above the passed message. Does this eliminate the drive as being the culprit. There is also a GUI version, 2.23 if you think that does any different or better testing.

The latest version of Seatools for DOS is 2.23. You should have run that one in the first place. In general, you want to run the latest version of the diags. That might have gotten you around the Legacy IDE error as well.

I've never seen the "LBA 976771072 above the passed message" before. I would run the Seatools 2.23 just to be safe. Like I said, the only error I would expect would be for the drive temp.

I'll run the other version, but that did not originally see the drive either. That LB reading was an incrementing number as the test ran.

I'll run the other version, but that did not originally see the drive either.
    Ah ok. Don't forget to set the SATA bios setting back after you're done running the diags.

Well, this is interesting. The long test under v2.23 says it's running, but, after 11 hours its still just sitting there, no output of any kind. I tried it on my my wife's PC, she has a Seagate drive, and it ran fine, I coud see output in the lower window as it ran & the small disk icon near the top was spinning. So, at least I know the test on the CD works. I tried it again in the laptop, still doesn't run. I changed the bios back just to check, and like originally, it didn't see the drive. Is it worth connecting it to a DATA port on my home PC just to see if I can get the test to run on it?

It's worth a shot.

I think Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test will also work on non-Hitachi drives.

It ran fine when connected to a SATA port on my PC. So, the results are:

Laptop
    Old version runs & passes
    New version hangs up as soon as the test starts

Another PC
    New version passes

To recap, the issue is after entering Windows, the desktop stops & there is a BSOD that says IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL more often than not.