Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: error code problems

Ultimate Member

error code problems

I'll list the spec's first.

Cool Master HAF lan case. The power supply is a thermal take 700W. The mother board is a Asus Maximus VI Hero. I am using a 3.4 quad core Intel CPU socket 1150 with a cool master Vortex Plus CPU cooler. The memory is Kingston 4g sticks X2 1600. The HDD is a OCZ 250 gig SSD. Video card is a MSI GeForce TI 750 with 2 gig memory. The OS is windows 7.

I just put together this box. I am getting a 3 beet code on boot up. From what I can find this is a memory error in the first 64k block. I have tested this memory. It tests good with memtest. I have also installed this memory into another box and it threw no error codes. (I have also tried two sticks of Corsair DDR3 with the same results. I tested and installed it into the other computer also). This Asus board isn't showing any memory error codes in the Q code display.

Also after the box runs for a while it throws one continuous beep. This used to be the code for high CPU temps. The highest I have found the CPU temps is 35 C after a fast reboot to get into bios. This alarm doesn't matter if your working the box or its setting idle. It just does it when it feels like it.

On the reboots into bois checking temps I haven't noticed any power supply voltages being out of whack.

Now here is where the kicker comes in. I installed a MSI H87-G43 mother board into the same case and it does the same thing.

I need some help on this build.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That ram error code also means the ram in the video card also.

So try a different video card. And since you are getting the same error on two different boards, I would say yes the video card ram is bad.

Pull the card and use a pencil erasure to clean the contacts, see if that helps too.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    That ram error code also means the ram in the video card also.

So try a different video card. And since you are getting the same error on two different boards, I would say yes the video card ram is bad.

Pull the card and use a pencil erasure to clean the contacts, see if that helps too.
    HHHHMMMM I never thought of the video card. I didn't know that the memory in it was checked during post. I have an older PCI express card I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. I will post the results.

Ultimate Member
    Well I dropped the older card I had in this morning. I am still getting the error code. This card is a Winfast PX6200 with 128 meg of memory. It is a brand new card also.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Run it outside the case. See if it still squeals,
    I had one back plate that caused weird problems with a ASUS mobo.

Ultimate Member
    I'll give it a try.

It will be a couple of days before I can do it. I have 2ea 12 hour night shifts coming up starting today. So I probably won't mess with it till my days off.

As I was typing this it finally threw an error code for me on the Q code display. It was code 30. Now what is weird this crosses to an ASL code. It says system waking up from S3 sleep state. It is giving the three beep code with the Q code display.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Found this ;
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-pro-code.html

Q-Codes 30 an 40 showing once booted to the operating system are not errors. They signify as you wrote, resuming from S3 and S4. If you are using Win8 a normal shutdown is to the S4 state.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/30...68-deluxe-code

Seems lots of folks see that.
    https://www.google.com/#q=Q+code+30

Ultimate Member
    I am on windows 7. It has never shown the 30 code before. That was the first time I had seen it. It was showing while the beeps were happening.

I might have found the problem yesterday after my post. I decided to go a molest some people in a FPS game. I have 5 fans in this case. There are two 120's in the front. There are two 80's and a 120 in the back of the case. I have had the rear fans turned off all this time. I decided to turn them on for the game. When I turned on the second 80MM fan. The mother board started throwing the three beep code. When I turned the 80's off the code stopped. I can repeat the code at will with the rear fans.

Looks like the new power supply is junk. I'll get it replaced. Then lets see if it is still throwing codes at me.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Are the rear fans hooked up to the mob or to the ps.
    Should to the ps as the mobo limits the electrical flow.
    The HSF is the only one I connect to the mobo.

Ultimate Member
    The only fan on the mother board is the CPU fan. All others are hooked to a Striker X-1000 5 channell fan controller threw a molex plug.

While I was sleeping today. It hard locked on the wife. Now it just does a a reboot cycle. It doesn't even make it to the bios screen before it starts over.

It will be getting a power supply now. I hooked my XP box back up to get by with.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That or the Striker X-1000 is messed up.

PS I would change first.

Ultimate Member
    I have unhooked the striker panel. It is still doing the same thing.

The error codes went away with the other problem that appeared. The possible power supply failure.

But I did remove the mother board from the case and tried to boot it that way. It only had the memory and video card installed. It booted to bios one time. The other times nothing. The Q codes went up to the point of CPU initiaization.

I also installed the stock CPU fan after the above testing. No difference.

I have a new power supply coming in. It might be friday by the time it gets here. I'll start the testing from the bench like its setting now.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I hope that does the trick.

Ultimate Member
    Well the new power supply came in. It looks like the Asus board might be DOA. It just cycles up the the CPU initiaization then nothing from there.

When I get off work in the morning I am going to move parts to the MSI board and see what it does.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Darn it, I was hoping. . .