Thread: Hard drive data recovery possible??

Hard drive data recovery possible??

Hello all, I have an hp dv6 6135x laptop where the hard drive has failed due to trauma. The laptop was closed very hard and i got the old "disk error has occured." I was able to do some research and made an Avira recovery disk which was able to scan the drive. I am now at the point where I am looking at the scan results but I am not sure if/how I could recover any data. I posted a picture below, Any help would be appreciated! Also, the hdd spins, it does not make a clicking noise.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That is where the image for restoring your laptop is stored.

Slave it in a desktop or use a USB adapter or enclosure and use explorer to recover your data that you would hate to lose.

Recurva, my favorite recovery tool
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Take it slow and easy, and if the hdd can gotten into, you should be able to save stuff.

With Vista or win 7, you will need to take ownership of the drive.
    http://windows.mercenie.com/windows-...se-completely/

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    I use these simple one-piece USB-to-SATA adapters frequently for accessing laptop drives:

Newegg.com > Apricorn ASW-USB3-25 USB3.0 to SATA Adapter - $13.99 after $10.00 rebate

--

And here's an easy way to 'take-ownership':

How-To Geek > Add "Take Ownership" to Windows Explorer's Right-Click Menu in Windows Vista, 7 and 8
    I just bought a laptop, after being a pc user and have no experience with them

Your link for the adapter is great and the link you gave for ownership is what I use and it is simple.

Hi Doc,

I purchased the adapter above, plugged the old hdd from laptop (Bought an SSD for the laptop) into the adapter, and after a little bit of trouble (Not the adapter"s fault - had to get the original OS off it, everything is GREAT!

My only question is can I use the hdd with adapter as an external hdd since it is not in a case - heat issues?

Thanks again for the link.
    Paul

Sure. The hard drive should run a lot cooler externally than it ever did inside a laptop.

Thanks - that's all I wanted to know.

Hi Doc,

I use the adapter on my 2nd laptop drive - no problem.

Today, I made an image (Macrium) and put it onto an external hdd. This is for the laptop.

I wanted to put a second one on 2tb hdd ( have that sitting in a hot wap bay in my pc) and connected the adapter to it and my laptop, but it is not recognized.

I thought there might have been a problem with the hdd, but I reinserted it into my PC and it is fine.

Could the hdd just be too large - doesn't seem logical, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Paul

The USB-to-SATA adapter above was designed for 2.5" (laptop/low power) hard drives. Most 3.5" (desktop) hard drives need more power than a single USB port can provide.

Thanks Doc,

Never thought of that.