Thread: Toshiba netbook will not boot up properly - model# NB205-N313/P

Toshiba netbook will not boot up properly - model# NB205-N313/P

A friend gave me this laptop, and I want to fix it and send it to a friend who really needs it, but it's not working properly, and it seems to be a known issue with this netbook based on this thread:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteri...p/101089#M4545

This is what is happening:

When I try to boot it up, the power button light comes on, the power LED comes on, and the hard disk spins for about 3 seconds and then stops.

The screen stays black and the computer doesn't boot up. The power button light and power LED stay on. If it's plugged in, external and battery LEDs are on. It's almost like it's in permanent in sleep mode. Same result whether it's plugged in or not. There's plenty of power, as I just bought a new AC adapter, and I can hear the computer running.

Many have said that they had a bad circuit board/motherboard in the above thread. One of the posts mention that it could be the lack of thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU. That sounds feasible to me.

I've built many desktop systems, but I have yet to work on a laptop motherboard. Is it an easy thing to do (add thermal compound to the CPU? Is it easy to take this apart, or is it quite involved with a lot of small parts?

If you have a link that shows how to do it, I'd be most greatful.

And if you have a better solution, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Just wondering if anyone might have a suggestion.

Thanks.

Is it an easy thing to do (add thermal compound to the CPU? Is it easy to take this apart, or is it quite involved with a lot of small parts?
    It's the latter. You need to keep track of where you removed which screw. There are screws of different sizes, and you need to put them back in the same holes. I would lean towards a bad motherboard over the thermal compound.

Did you try removing the battery and running only on AC power?

Midknyte, you're BRILLIANT!! It worked without the battery!

Why is that? Bad battery? Can I try putting the battery back in?

Actually, I just shut it down and tried turning it back on again still without the battery and now it won't boot up. Does the same thing.

Any ideas?

The last page of the link you posted says to update the bios. Some people put the laptop in the fridge first.
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteri...p/51431/page/5

Awesome, Midknyte. Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

Midknyte, I just want to say that YOU ROCK!! That was the fix! Updating the BIOS. And I did need to put it in the fridge first. Crazy.

When I first read the thread on that forum, I just went by the "fix" for the thread and did not read until the end. But this just goes to show you that you SHOULD read until the end of the thread, because a lot of times, that is where the gold is. Thank you for finding the gold.

Btw, this computer is going to a friend of mine in a 3rd world country who really needs it for her business. So just know that this was for a VERY good cause.

Thanks again!

NP. I usually look at the last post first, especially with a thread that long.

Smart. I'll have to start doing that. Thanks!