Thread: Windows Phone SD card reformat

Windows Phone SD card reformat

I had a Samsung Focus Windows Phone, it recently died on me. I switched to an Android phone to replace the Focus. The focus was one of the original WP phones, and had an SD card slot. When you put the card into the phone it integrated it into the system so that you had one big virtual drive, and this partition was hidden outside of the Focus so you can't recognize it on anything else.
    I have read of 2 methods to make it usable with other devices, but I either need another Focus, or a certain Nokia phone since Symbian OS seems to use the same hidden partition that Windows Phone made on the card.
    I am trying to find if there is another method to do a low level reformat the card so it is again usable on other devices. I have the Android phone if that is a possibility, or better yet, somehow to do it on my PC, I have both Windows XP and Ubuntu set up on the PC so a choice from either would be good.
    Thanx in advance for any help.

Tuck

I'm assuming you already tried formatting in Windows like a normal flash drive.

You can try this:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html

Tried both programs, but when the Focus installed the card onto the phone, it set up a secure hidden partition. The computer does not see the partition so it says no card is in the computer. No card, no format.
    I need a way to read the secure hidden partition, and so the computer sees it so I can access it.
    It's not the ability to format the card, but the ability to read it first.
    I've tried using both an adapter and a USB reader. It shouldn't make a difference, but it is a microSD card.

Did you try running gparted in Ubuntu? If Linux can't see it, then I'm not sure what else will.

No go. Still not detected.

It's something that is peculiar to the Focus phone. The microSD card wasn't supposed to be user accessible, a manufacturers option for memory on the circuit board. Windows Phone hadn't come out with authorized cards that would integrate into the system correctly when WP7 and the Focus came out. Samsung must have tried to circumvent that and caused problems to begin with.
    If I could have used the original phone to remove the card, it could have been reformatted to be used by other devices, but the phone died before that was done, so at least for now I have an unusable 16gig card.

Maybe you can ask at xda. That forum is more for mobiles.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/