Thread: How to configure a SSD boot drive

How to configure a SSD boot drive

I recently bought an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD without having a clear plan how to use it (it just looked a good deal). My vague initial idea was to use a SSD as a caching solution, like OCZ's Synapse but at the time of the purchase that variant was more expensive. Since a stand-alone caching soft is not available I decided to use this SSD as a boot drive. I made some research on the net about configuring it but I'd like some more opinions.
    1. Currently my Windows folder occupies ~20GB, C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files(x86)\ take up about 23GB. Would it make sense to keep all these on the SSD?
    2. What other files/folders should go to the hard drive to reduce wear on the SSD?

Thanks for your input

My System:
    Phenom IIx2, 3.0GHz
    6GB RAM
    Sapphire Radeon 4650, 1GB
    HDD Seagate 250GB (really old)
    Win7 64
    Atti

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I would install to the SSD and about the only thing I would move would be the documents folder. Limit the size of the recycle bin, and the restore points.
    Enjoy the SSD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I would install to the SSD and about the only thing I would move would be the documents folder. Limit the size of the recycle bin, and the restore points.
    Enjoy the SSD drive.
    Thanks for reply; basicaly keep it simple. I just need to do a selection of which programs worth placing onto the SSD, 60GB it's kind of tight.
    Atti

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Now if the programs are installed right now on another hdd that will become a backup drive , Maybe D or E as examples, throw a shortcut to the desktop and 90+% of the time the program has run perfectlu for me. Just a idea, but it will open slower as it is on a SATA?PATA drive.

120 GB seems to be a good size for Win7.