Thread: Recovering lost files.

Recovering lost files.

I got my pc system from my storage unit after being away for several years. The pc and my 21" monitor still run fine (I packed them both in the original boxes and removed the main items in the pc before I left). I have two hard drives installed in it, but it's not raid. I decided to reformat the main drive and re-install Win XP. Before I did I backed up some files on the secondary drive.

After I re-installed XP, the drivers, software, ext. I clicked the secondary drive to retrieve my files and there was nothing! Before I did, I checked it twice and they were there. I made sure I reformatted the "C" drive.

I've tried several efforts to find them, but nada. When I click the "D" drive it shows Free Space: 97.1 GB and Total Size: 189 GB So the files are there somewhere? Does anyone know of way to find those files or will I have to purchase a separate software to recover them? Aye!

Thx

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Take ownership of the hdd.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Also why I disconnect all hdds except C: when doing a clean install.

Thanks for the info Train. I did what you said and followed the exact steps. But it could not find the files in my D: drive. I entered the exact names and still nada...

What is crazy, I've done this many times and never had this problem. I will now disconnect all hdd's when I do a clean install! If you have other suggestions, I would appreciate. If nothing works do you think purchasing a separate software might do the trick?

Aye....

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Here are some excellent freeware file recovery programs, many of our members have had a good deal of success with them:

PC Inspector

Restoration

TestDisk

Recuva

Recuva has saved my bacon more than a few times. Hope something listed does the trick.

Thanks a lot, I will give one of these a shot.