Thread: 0 bytes WD MY PASSPORT External HD

0 bytes WD MY PASSPORT External HD

I just bought a WD 1TB External HD. When I plugged it in, it didn't see it right away. I think after I rebooted the machine, it saw the drive. It showed it was what was supposed to be there.
    I transferred some stuff over and everything was fine.
    Later on that day or the next it shows up in My Computer (Win XP), but shows 0 Bytes drive and used space.
    I know it could be DOA but is there another explanation?

Can't believe I drove 175 miles one way to get this. I will have to driver back to return it.

What can I do or check? I hear it power up and the light blinks but 0 bytes.

Thank you,
    Chris.

Are you using the WD security software?

What is the exact model number? Maybe there is a firmware update.

I tried it in my Laptop and it showed up right away. I then put it back in my desktop and it showed up. Not sure what happened but it's working right now.
    Thank you,
    Chris.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Seen something like that a few times. Something in the USB got corrupted is my though. And your trick , cleared it for me.

next time, you any of these 2 free-ware utility to fix window's USB deficiency

usb oblivion
    http://code.google.com/p/usboblivion/

USB Deview
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

i personally like the latter as it has a longer history, but the new one from google groups is pretty nice too, and easy to use, but less powerful than Des View

the down side of Des View is it can get pretty dangerous if you delete the wrong stuff , so user beware
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5