We still use some Windows server 2003 computers in our network. They are member servers in our Windows Server 2008 active directory domain.
On these servers we have enabled remote desktop and VNC for remote administration. This has worked perfectly for about 8 months. We are using TightVNC 2.0.4 at the moment with TightVNC Authentication.
We suddenly stopped being able to connect to one of our servers using VNC. The problem started recently, but I do not know exactly when. I always use remote desktop and some of the older admins use VNC and they reported the problem.
Outside of Windows updates, there have been no changes to the system.
If I enable authentication I can log in and then after about one minute I am disconnected. If Authentication is off, I am disconnected after about one minute.
I have removed and installed TightVNC several times with no change. The issue happens with multiple client computers.
Turning on logging results in this error:
 2012-04-16 14:26:43 @ write() function stopped because transport has not been initialized yet.
 2012-04-16 14:26:43 @ Failed to start process with 87 error
 2012-04-16 14:26:43 @ DesktopServerWatcher has failed with error: The parameter is incorrect (error code 87)
(Repeats around 60 times)
 2012-04-16 14:27:43 @ exception during WinDesktop creaion: The ReconnectingChannel::write() function failed.
 2012-04-16 14:27:43 @ Connection will be closed: Connection unsuccessful
 2012-04-16 14:32:14 @ Exception in control client thread: "The Pipe's read function failed after GetOverlappedResult calling (The pipe has been ended. (109))"
Several searches have turned up nothing useful. I do see a few other users with a similar problem with both 2.0.2 and 2.0.4 with no solution. Does anyone here have experience with this problem? I am going to get UltraVNC and install ti to see what happens.
I finally figured out this issue. I had configured my server to install automatic updates. The server only installed important updates. While working on this server to prepare for a Symantec upgrade I converted the server to Microsoft Update and installed optional updates that covered .NET service packs and other updates. TightVNC works properly now.
Stark Raving MOD
Thanks for posting the fix. We use UltraVNC in our office. Might be worth a look in case TightVNC acts up again.
New Security Features Planned for Firefox 4
Another Laptop Theft Exposes 21K Patients' Data
Oracle Hits to Road to Pitch Data Center Plans
Microsoft Preps Array of Windows Patches
Microsoft Nears IE9 Beta With Final Preview
Simplified Analytics Improve CRM, BI Tools
Android Passes RIM as Top Mobile OS in 2Q
VMware Updates Hyperic System Management
File Monitoring Key to Enterprise Security
LinkedIn Snaps Up SaaS Player mSpoke