Thread: Windows 7 Repair Disk

Windows 7 Repair Disk

My daughter & sister just bought new laptops. They are bringing them to me to transfer their data from the old XP machines. I also want to make copies of repair disks for them & keep a copy for myself in case the misplace them. can these all be made from my PC or do they have to be from the machines they would repair?

Thanks
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Which systems are you talking about? the new Laptops?

If so, you need to make them on the new Laptops themselves.

Yep, I meant the new laptops, they are both Windows 7. I was figuring I could save a little time, but it seems it doesn't take long to create one of these.

Thanks
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

One more question. Since this repairs Windows, it should not need updating as new apps are installed, correct? Or does this need to be updated periodically?

Thanks

Are you talking about a RECOVERY discs? Recovery discs will reset the system to factory settings. You would not update recovery discs.

I believe so, Windows calls it System Repair Disk

No that's not it. There should be a separate app on the laptop like "Recovery media creator" from the manufacturer. You didn't specify the brand, so I can't be more specific than that.

System repair disc by itself cannot restore the system. You would also need to make a backup using the built-in Win7 utility. You still need to run it from the laptop.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/...-in-windows-7/

I prefer Acronis TI since it can compress the backup images. What are you using for backups now?

Thanks Midknyte, sorry for the late response. It's a Toshiba and I didn't see anything like that but will look the next time I see her. Since she doesn't have a Windows disk I see that she needs something if she ever needs torebuild from scratch.

Right now I have been using EaseUs Todo Backup. It's fairly simple and I have been looking at a few other possibilities. I'll have to look at Acronis.

The "System Repair Disc" that Windows creates, will make a bootable disc that will get you to the Repair menu, just the same as you can get to by booting from a Windows DVD. You only need to make one, it will work on any computer that has Win 7 installed.

If you make a System Image from Control Panel>Backup and Restore, you can then use the System Repair disk to re-install that image, or to use System Restore, etc.

Thank you, that clears it up.