Thread: Owners of a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, please help

Owners of a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, please help

So I have a problem. This is my new HD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136792

My first drive would disappear from the computer after coming back from Sleep. The computer if let sleep for longer than 20 minutes or so, would simply not appear in My Computer or Device Manager once resuming from Sleep.

I just got the second drive, from RMAing. Same problem.

Is there any other owners of this HD here? If so, does your drive have the same problem? I've tried different SATA ports, 3.0 and 6.0. Haven't tried changing cables yet, that is next. I don't want to keep RMAing if this recurring problem with the drive.

Thanks!!!

Sleep mode and hibernation have a long history for causing issues like this... Best solution is to not let it sleep....or reboot...

I love the sleep function though Use it all the time...

But you say this can happen with drives huh? Think I should bother RMAing? I do have an SSD for boot, so rebooting is super quick.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    All but one of the computers I have worked on, sleep and hibernation modes have gummed up the works. Because, when the hdd shuts down a reboot is all that can get it started again.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    All but one of the computers I have worked on, sleep and hibernation modes have gummed up the works. Because, when the hdd shuts down a reboot is all that can get it started again.
    Really? This is surprising news to me. All of my past Western Digital drives have worked when resuming from sleep, even the 500GB one I just replaced. What a downer this is.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes, RMA the drive again and hope the next one (3rd) works with sleep, or not bother and just reboot to resolve the issue when it arises? Probably the latter huh?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I would reboot. Always have as it get rid og stuff out of memeory. But then, I always shutdown as it is cheaper in the long run. A couple hundred a year at that. And i only pay about $0.07 a kw here. $200 is a lot of groceries in my book.

Alright. I guess I'll just deal with it like you said. Chances are the 3rd RMA would have the same problem anyways, from what you guys told me.

Just weird how my past 3 WD drives did not have this problem and could come back from Sleep without a hitch. Sucks.

Thanks for your help