Thread: Microsoft VM problem with Virtual NIC

Microsoft VM problem with Virtual NIC

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 server setup with Hyper-V (the host). The machine is running a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine (e-mail server).

Randomly the e-mail server will stop talking to the outside world. When this happens the physical NIC with the host IP address can be pinged. I can also remote desktop and VNC to the host.

Using Hyper-V manager is the only way to access the e-mail server when it randomly stops talkinbg to the outside world. When using the machine, the NIC will ping 127.0.0.1 and the local interface IP address. I can not ping outside the e-mail server.

If I reboot the virtual machine everything works fine again. The machine does have Auto updates turned on so all Microsoft patches are being applied automatically. I turned this on to see if it would make a difference.

The virtual machine runs Windows as mentioned, Domino 8.5.2, and Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.x. The Domino mail server runs SMTP, POP3, and the typical tasks for mail routing and BES. It is very basic. One processor with 4GB of RAM is how the VM is setup.

Any ideas why the NIC would just randomly stop responding in the VM? This problem has been happening since the server was set up 6 months ago. The problem was a daily issue but now it happens once a month or less.

Can you recommend any online reading for setting up a Hyper-V VM? Maybe I missed something when I setup the server. It is my first VM.
    -- Mathias

I don't have a HyperV server to play with, but did you check the device manager on the virtual server? See if there is a power setting for the virtual NIC. Uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

We use VMWare here, so I'm not sure how much of that carries over to HyperV.

There is no power management tab in device manager for the virtual NIC. I did go into the power options control panel and changed the power setting there. Under the advanced settings there is a PCI express section with "Link State Power Management" I chanegd this setting from Moderate power saving to off. I will see if it makes a difference.
    -- Mathias