Thread: Router has started dropping wi-fi randomly.

Router has started dropping wi-fi randomly.

Hi all

Long time no post But your knowledge is needed once again.

I'm running a Netgear DG834G, plusnet DSL in the UK. I've had no problems in the 18 months that I've used it. I regularly have 2-3 laptops and a PC connected wirelessly.

Since about a week ago, I've found that randomly perhaps a few times each 24hrs, the connection dies. The SSID isn't visible in the "available connections" list (though the neighbours' ones still are) and rebooting the pc/lappy does nothing.

I have to turn the router off, then back on again, and within 2mins or so once it's all started up, it reconnects fine.

The reason I'm confused is that I have changed nothing - no new hardware recently, no new machines, literally nothing. It just happened out of the blue. I'm assuming that because the SSID is vanishing, it's a problem on my end rather than my ISP.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Just clutching at straws in case someone recognises the symptoms.

FYI all machines are running Win 7 Ultimate.

Thoughts welcomed and appreciated - if you need any further info please let me know.

Regards,
    Matt
    Eh?

That's strange. Do you have the router connected to a UPS? I've known of weird random issues due to power fluctuations.

Did you try updating the firmware?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    A slight voltage drop can mess up a router or a modem to where we reach in back, unplug the3 power, wait 30 seconds, then plug the power back in. When up test. That has worked over 10 years for me. Yes, slap a UPS in there to stop that mess. I did.

Thanks for the advice gents, nice to see you're both still here.

I tried a full power cycle/reset after leaving it unplugged for around a minute and touch wood, it's not died today yet. I've also not tried new firmware yet (duno why I didn't think of that).

If it drops again I'll try the firmware - I'll look into UPS options in the new year but currently it's essentials only due to xmas thrashing my wallet.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Matt
    Eh?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    you are Welcome. But that power drop latching it up, a firmware will probably not fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    you are Welcome. But that power drop latching it up, a firmware will probably not fix it.
    Excuse my ignorance but what does that bit mean?

thanks
    Matt
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    power drop latching it up
    he just means that if a power problem is causing the random SSID drops, the firmware will not fix the issue. You have to fix the power problem if that is the source of your issue.

I have found that when this happens to some devices it is the radio that is going bad. Sometimes I have had to replace the device.
    -- Mathias