Thread: USB 2 Ports quit working?!

USB 2 Ports quit working?!

Why would my usb 2 ports all of sudden stop working?

I start computer with no problem(Windows 7). Online with Alfa Realtek wifi adaptor.
    surfing about an hour and then USB ports stop working.
    1. Wifi disconnects
    2. USB ports stop working

I restart computer and then all is well. Everything works ok.

NE Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure the port stopped working and not just the wi-fi?
    Did you try another device in the same port?

All USB ports stopped working. I tried to put in USB stick and it would not read it either. Printer usb connection did not work.
    Once I restarted computer, everything worked fine. THis has happened a couple of times

It appears to be a controller issue.
    Are there errors or warnings in the System Event Log? From the Run box enter eventvwr.msc.
    Have you run the manufacturer's diagnostics?

USB ports shut down when too much current is demanded. Those Alfa Realtek adapters require more current than can be supplied by one port. Did it not come with a Y-cable?

I would suggest a powered hub but it seems to me that the enclosed instructions call for it to be plugged directly into an on-board port, though this may be to discourage the use of unpowered hubs. I have been meaning to test it with a powered hub anyway, so I can probably let you know tomorrow how that goes.

You can check the required draw on the power tab of the hub properties in Device Manager.

Yup, the Alfa Realtek works great on a powered hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Tunzafun View Post
    USB ports shut down when too much current is demanded. Those Alfa Realtek adapters require more current than can be supplied by one port. Did it not come with a Y-cable?

I would suggest a powered hub but it seems to me that the enclosed instructions call for it to be plugged directly into an on-board port, though this may be to discourage the use of unpowered hubs. I have been meaning to test it with a powered hub anyway, so I can probably let you know tomorrow how that goes.

You can check the required draw on the power tab of the hub properties in Device Manager.

I am running on Powered hub with just one connection. It worked fine for a year when I used XP Prof. on same HD. 2 months ago I reformatted HD and upgraded to win7.
    That is when the problem started. I went to Realtek and downloaded the latest for Windows7 ....still getting same problem.

What is odd, this same Alfa connector works on my laptop(toshiba) running Vista and no issues at all.

Have you bothered to check for errors in device manager and the system event logs?

What is odd, this same Alfa connector works on my laptop(toshiba) running Vista and no issues at all.
    Do you use the same power hub with the Toshiba or are you plugged in directly?
    Is the troubled machine a desktop or a laptop?