Thread: CPU temp

CPU temp

Just finished a new box, Gigabyte K9A MB, AMD Phenom quad 2.8, 2 gig G-skill ram. 320 HD, ATI 4850 and a ECO water cooler for the CPU. Also a bottom mount PS with discharge out the bottom of the case and 2 case fans.

Of course the ambient temp here is quit warm, 80 deg F. and the CPU temp on the motherboard bios shows it runs constantly at about 45 C.
    I installed a new version of Sandra and it shows the CPU about 6 deg C. hotter than the BIOS readout, which one do I believe?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I would go with the BIOS if it were mine. And as the temp is under 60C, I would not worry about it. 60C is where I get curious and 65C is panic time.

Wasn't too concerned about the max temp. but was curious which was more accurate, the bios or Sandra.

Ultimate Member
    I would agree to follow the bios. I recently built a system with a temp prob inside the case, that temp of course doesn't match anything else go figure

Update: A word of caution!
    After loading some high level games and starting the PC it would "shut off" the PC after about 2 minutes. I repeated this several times to be sure of the timing. Before and right after the shut-down the temp was a constant 50 C. The high temp shutdown was set at 70 C. so I knew that couldn't be the problem, not even close.
    I had bought a new case in Medellin that would accomodate my ECO water cooler system as it won't fit in a standard ATX case. The case is an Omega with an Omega O.E.M, P.S. rated at a phoney 525 watts. I changed the power supply to a good one (600 watts) I had ordered from the states with a large 120mm exhaust fan and now it's O.K.
    Beware of the "cheapie" power supplies with exploded wattage ratings, I measured the full load output at 125 watts. Evidently it does have some overload protection though that was shutting it off.

I recommend speedfan, it's free and gives lot of detailed info about CPU temp and harddrives smart info, it can also control fan speed.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Clock9 View Post
    I recommend speedfan, it's free and gives lot of detailed info about CPU temp and harddrives smart info, it can also control fan speed.

Did you note the post above yours is dated 03-02-2011.