Thread: New RAM

New RAM

I have just received some new RAM which I bought on EBAY. I installed it this morning, only to find that it seems to have a problem. I removed all (3 sticks) of the old RAM, and installed the new RAM, 2 sticks. The new RAM is Infineon PC133 512 Mb each. The old RAM is Infineon PC133 256 Mb each (2 sticks), and a third of Kingston 256 Mb. The new RAM gave me a Beepcode error of 3 long beeps, Base 64 memory failure.

The motherboard involved is a Gigabyte 7ZXE 1.1, with an AMI BIOS.

As I see things, either the RAM is the wrong type, or the new RAM is DOA. Any other possibilities?

I forgot to test the new RAM sticks individually, so in fact only one may be a problem.

I'll attach a picture of two of the RAM sticks, one old (256 Mb), and one new (512 Mb).
    Attached Images Attached Images

New RAM

I have just received some new RAM which I bought on EBAY. I installed it this morning, only to find that it seems to have a problem. I removed all (3 sticks) of the old RAM, and installed the new RAM, 2 sticks. The new RAM is Infineon PC133 512 Mb each. The old RAM is Infineon PC133 256 Mb each (2 sticks), and a third of Kingston 256 Mb. The new RAM gave me a Beepcode error of 3 long beeps, Base 64 memory failure.

The motherboard involved is a Gigabyte 7ZXE 1.1, with an AMI BIOS.

As I see things, either the RAM is the wrong type, or the new RAM is DOA. Any other possibilities?

I forgot to test the new RAM sticks individually, so in fact only one may be a problem.

MODS: Please delete this duplicate posting. I must have hit the wrong key, or something. Thanks.

I'll attach a picture of two of the RAM sticks, one old (256 Mb), and one new (512 Mb).
    Last edited by 4breezes; 02-11-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Duplicate posting

Des the new ram match the 3.3v requirement?

SYSTEM MEMORY:
    3 168-pin DIMM sockets
    Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
    Supports up to 1.5GB DRAM
    Supports only 3.3V SDRAM DIMM
    http://www.baber.com/baber/411/gigabyte_7zxe.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Des the new ram match the 3.3v requirement?
    Hi Steve,

I've looked at the datasheets for both ram sticks and they are both 3.3v

Michael

Didn't the older mobo's have a jumper pin for different ram sticks? Or was that maybe for different cpu's??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Didn't the older mobo's have a jumper pin for different ram sticks? Or was that maybe for different cpu's??
    Had a look at the manual online (http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList..._ga-7zxe_e.pdf). No jumpers relevant to memory. It may be a BIOS issue but I had a look at the BIOS upgrades. None refer to memory issues. The manual states that it can accommodate up to 1.5 gig in 3 X 512 meg modules. The modules that 4breezes purchased appear to fit the bill.

"Base 64 memory failure" usually indicates bad ram, but its possible it's something else.

Try loading Bios Defaults when using the older ram installed. Then add one new stick at a time and see if you POST. If it does POST, enter the Bios Setup and Save/Exit. Then try introducing the other new stick the same way.

If doesn't POST with a new stick then sometimes it helps to manually setup the bios memory settings instead of using auto. Disable SPD , set ram timing to spec. , etc.

If that fails, then the new ram is bad or labeled incorrectly.

How many chips are on those 512MB dimms?

Ol'T, there are 16 chips per stick, 8 on each side.

The problem is solved, in the easiest way possible. Two sticks of RAM--one was good, one was DOA.

When I first posted on this, I had stuck both sticks into the system. Nothing worked. This evening I pulled all the RAM, and stuck each new stick into DIMM slot 1, individually, one at a time. One worked, one did not.

Once again, I appreciate your help and your suggestions. Thank you.