Thread: sidebyside error in system event log

sidebyside error in system event log

When researching a separate issue, I notice a lot of "sidebyside" errors in my system event log. They occur in multiple series of the following 3 events:

Event ID 32
    Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID 59
    Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID 59
    Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\system32\dpl100.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Typically, 10 to 15 groups of these three errors occur in a row, and this happens once or twice a week. A google search suggested that installing the Visual C++ runtime redistribution package (2005 and 2008) will usually fix the problem. That didn't solve the problem for me.

Interestingly, I searched back through my system event logs (from backups) and discovered the errors began on Sept 21. As it turns out, that was the same day I was having problems upgrading a CAD application I use in my work. I was getting an error message during the install, which was resolved by registering the MS Windows Script Host (scrrun.dll) in the registry.

However, running the CAD application does NOT generate the sidebyside errors in the system event log. The sidebyside errors occurred several times this month, but I have not opened the CAD application during that period.

One way to further troubleshoot is to identify the application that is triggering the error. That's easier said than done.

Is there any way to create an alert that would pop up a message or something when a specific error is logged?
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

I've just now isolated the problem to a specific activity on my computer. The SideBySide errors occur whenever I access the primary partition on my second HDD, either through Explorer or by opening a file located on that partition. Note that the error does not occur when I access any other partition (I have 3 partitions on each HDD).

Does this suggest any possible causes?

Edit: As noted in previous post, the errors started last September on same day I registered scrrun.dll. However, that had nothing to do with the partition causing the error. It existed long before that, with no errors. Very strange.
    Last edited by ginahoy; 01-29-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

An additional data point...
    There's an AVI (video) file located in the root directory of the partition associated with the SideBySide error. I can reproduce the SideBySide error events by playing any AVI file, or opening a folder in Explorer that contains an AVI file. I changed the AVI association to another media player. Same result.

As noted in my original post, installing the Microsoft 2005 & 2008 C++ runtime libraries should have fixed the problem. In my case, it didn't.

It makes no sense to me that accessing an AVI would trigger a call to VC80.CRT. Even still, why would a call fail, since I installed the libraries? (BTW, I used Process Monitor to confirm no such call occurs with other media types.)

I understand so little about what's going on 'under the hood' that I'm at a loss as to how to further troubleshoot. In any case, these errors don't seem to result in any performance hits, so maybe I should just let well enough alone.

I had a similar problem recently. I busted my **** trying to fix it. Nothing worked. I finally had to restore a drive image from a previous backup. That did it.

If I didn't have a backup, I would forget the problem and move on. It's probably a problem that will be resolved with Windows Update.

If you are not backing up your drives on a regular basis, you should be.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Side-by-side is a MS dot.net function; you might try updating that.
    Is write caching enabled on that second harddrive?
    The referenced dpl100.dll is a DivX file. You might try re-installing that.