Thread: Win7 Printer Advice

Win7 Printer Advice

I have a friend with a Peer to Peer network. He has a Windows 2000 computer with shared printers. All of his computers connect to the Windows 2000 printer shares for printing. The new Windows 7 computer will not connect to and print on one of the printers.

I did reduce the security on Windows 7 to allow NTLM v1 passwords. That allows me to use the file shares and log onto the Windows 2000 computer. Once I changed the setting on Windows 7 I could connct to my file shares and one of the two shared printers. The printer that works is a Lexmark Laser of some sort.

The printer with the issue is a Lexmark X3350. It is an all-in-one inkjet. Microsoft and Lexmark list it as compatible but Lexmark states you should use the Vista driver. I have installed the Vista x64 driver.

If I install the driver and connect the printer directly to the USB port, the printer will work OK. During the install you have to choose a USB or network printer. When I install the network printer, the setup finds the printer and completes OK. It just will not print.

IS there anything that may be changed or adjusted in Windows 7 that might make this work better. Installing in XP or Vista compatibility mode also did not work.
    -- Mathias

My guess is that the Vista driver isn't cutting the mustard. My experience has shown that the Win7 and Vista driver models are significantly different - especially in regards to the 64-bit version.

I would uninstall the Lexmark driver and try really hard to get the system to use a driver in the MS database or one from Windows Update. That may be really hard now that you have actually downloaded and installed the Lexmark Vista driver. You should identify all driver files before uninstalling so that you can root them all out and delete them manually.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I checked Windows Update for a driver before downloading the Lexmark version. There were no drivers available for the printer giving me the issue.

The printer that works did get it driver form Windows Update.

I will go ahead and tell my user that I think he is out of luck on the Win 7 PC and recommend a new printer.
    -- Mathias

It might be a good idea to try that Vista driver with the printer connected directly to the Win7 PC to verify if the driver works at all. If it does, there may be a networking issue.

To be sure, these all-in-one printers are a bad idea for a professional environment. Anything with a scanner is almost never supported in the next version of Windows. It stinks, but it's a fact. A dedicated laser printer is a much better idea.
    MS MCP, MCSE