Thread: RDP and multiple monitors on both ends of the connection

Question RDP and multiple monitors on both ends of the connection

Hello everyone. I have an associate who has dual monitors and work and the same at home. He hasn't tried to RDP into work from home, but we're both curious what he should expect with regards to whether or not his dual monitor setup at home will simply mimic his dual monitor setup at the office. I've read up on RDP and multiple monitors but everything I've found talks about if you have dual monitors on one end and a single monitor on the other end. Any thoughts or personal experience that can be shared?

Thanks for the reply Midknyte. I did read this before posting so I know about it. I wasn't sure if there was new or updated information or if this was still it. You can use the /span option but it doesn't provide true dual monitor usage like if you were literally in the office sitting in front of the PC. If this is it then that's fine, I was just hoping to find out if there was any improvement over what's been available for years now anyway.

What version of RDP are you running?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084
    Multiple monitor support
    In Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008, Terminal Services supported only monitor spanning. Remote Desktop Services now includes multiple monitor support for up to 16 monitors, and works for both Remote Desktop and RemoteApp programs.

That article is interesting. At first it seems to say that what we want to do won't work unless you're using Windows 7 and Server 2008, and then later on it says you don't have to necessarily be using those OS's. I'm a little bit confused...

These features are introduced in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2. These features are available for computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).
    It is NATIVE to Win7 and Server 2008 R2, but you can ADD it to other OSes. You didn't state which OS or version of RDC you are running.

If you download RDC7, it has a check box for "Use all my monitors for this session" on the "Display" tab.

Thanks for straightening me out on this, Midknyte. On my end the OS is XP Pro sp3. I'm sure I'll have to upgrade the RDP client on this machine. I'm unsure about the OS and patch level on the user's PC who lives in California (I'm in Georgia). The remote user does go through SBS 2003, which is on the latest service pack and patches) to log into the work network and she launches RDP through the SBS web interface. Because of this I'm unsure where to upgrade RDP but I figure if I upgrade RDP on all 3 computers involved in this I'll have my bases covered.