Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prob with Favourites Centre in IE8

Prob with Favourites Centre in IE8

I have IE8 running and notice increasingly that when running the mouse pointer down (or up) through the folders in the Favourites Centre, the mouse pointer drags its heels as though in treacle! It is OK once a folder is open to reveal the favourites shortcuts themselves.

I wandered if the answer was to reinstall IE8 but it simply indicated it is already installed so don't know how to get over that unless I uninstall to IE7 the reinstall. But haven't done anything for fear of messing it up. Running down the Favourites from the menu bar is fine - just the Favourites Centre the problem.

The system is fully updated Win XP SP2 Home, just about 2 years old now.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on?

Does it ever do that in any other program?
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

No, it happens nowhere else. Windows Explorer is fine, Opera (which has something similar to the IE8 Favourites Centre) is fine. The mouse pointer moves up and down as normal responding to every movement no matter how rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbyVundo View Post
    No, it happens nowhere else. Windows Explorer is fine, Opera (which has something similar to the IE8 Favourites Centre) is fine. The mouse pointer moves up and down as normal responding to every movement no matter how rapid.
    I would check the settings and set them back to default then make sure you have all the lastest updates.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    I would check the settings and set them back to default then make sure you have all the lastest updates.
    Have check the settings. Nothing appears different or unusual. I also clicked Restore Advanced settings on the Advanced tab in Tools>Internet Options. Check for updates and installed a couple of Optional ones, one of which I didn't like which added a Desktop Search to the Taskbar. I System Restored that back to remove that one.

Net effect - nothing. Oh BTW I ran CCleaner to take out temp files etc.

Check if there are any driver updates for your mouse, also check the mouse settings in the software, that could be an issue.

Thanks for support.

I don't have a driver and looking on the website it has no driver for that model (it is a cheap one supplied with the computer). The current prob is not entirely new but has got noticeably worse of late. And, as I mention it only affects the Favourites Centre of IE8 and nothing else.

Thanks for support.

I don't have a driver and looking on the website it has no driver for that model (it is a cheap one supplied with the computer). The current prob is not entirely new but has got noticeably worse of late. And, as I mention it only affects the Favourites Centre of IE8 and nothing else.
    Do you have another mouse that you can try to see if it does the same thing?

Yes I tried another PS2 mouse and a USB mouse. Same problem. If anything the one I've had in use since I've had the computer is a bit better than th eother two, but that's prob due to how I have this one set for sensitivity etc so I'm sort of used to it.

Again the prob is only with the IE8 Favourites Centre

Yes I tried another PS2 mouse and a USB mouse. Same problem. If anything the one I've had in use since I've had the computer is a bit better than th eother two, but that's prob due to how I have this one set for sensitivity etc so I'm sort of used to it.

Again the prob is only with the IE8 Favourites Centre
    I am still leaning towards a driver problem with the mouse and with no real updates and or software I am not sure it can be fixed. It has to be a conflict between IE8 and the mouse drivers.

Unless someone else chimes in that knows the answer.

I found a fix on http://www.fixya.com for exactly the problem I have with the sticky mouse on the Favourites Centre:-

In Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom and uncheck “Show pop-up description for folders and desktop items”.

Whilst it is not a proper fix, and I'm still seeking one, it does work. Of course I no longer have pop-up descriptions for folders, files, etc.

Edit: IE8 is a heck of a lot more snappy now too, switching faster between tabs (like it ought to), just generally more responsive.
    Last edited by bugbyVundo; 02-01-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Addition

One thing that can really slow down IE8 or make it "stick" in the favorites area, is if there are a lot of 'add-ons' running while you are trying to browse, managing your add-ons can really speed up browsing. To fix try this:

In IE, go to ‘tools’ and ‘manage add-ons’.
    Disabling any unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster.
    Try disabling add-ons with more than a .2 sec load time. (i.e. tool bars)
    If you’re still not having any luck, I recommend you reinstall IE8 on your system.

-Kyler
    IE 8 Outreach Team

As a corollary to this thread, I thought I'd update as follows.

Even though I tried switching mouses to no effect and also restoring default settimgs to default also to no effect, I decided not to do a IE8 reinstall. As I mentioned in post #11 I switched off the pop-up descriptions in Folder Options which fixed it.

But today I began to have a problem with the mouse, with left clicks not always working and when they did it was as though I had the Ctrl button down on the keyboard. Very occasionally it does appear to stick, though not visually. I decided to switch the mouse for a Microsoft mouse I had in use 2 years ago. What do you know OK again. So I switched the pop-up descriptions back on again and no sticky mouse pointer any longer!! So despite the experiment with this mouse earlier not solving the problem, it has now! And the cheap noname mouse consigned to the 'old' cupboard!

As a corollary to this thread, I thought I'd update as follows.

Even though I tried switching mouses to no effect and also restoring default settimgs to default also to no effect, I decided not to do a IE8 reinstall. As I mentioned in post #11 I switched off the pop-up descriptions in Folder Options which fixed it.

But today I began to have a problem with the mouse, with left clicks not always working and when they did it was as though I had the Ctrl button down on the keyboard. Very occasionally it does appear to stick, though not visually. I decided to switch the mouse for a Microsoft mouse I had in use 2 years ago. What do you know OK again. So I switched the pop-up descriptions back on again and no sticky mouse pointer any longer!! So despite the experiment with this mouse earlier not solving the problem, it has now! And the cheap noname mouse consigned to the 'old' cupboard!
    I hate it when I am right.

Glad you got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    I hate it when I am right.

Glad you got it fixed.
    Actually after posting thinking it was definately the mouse, the keyboard is still messing about, with Ctrl key appearing to stick (using the scroll wheel on the mouse the zoom level changes until I touch the Ctrl key. Must be the only keyboard with a Caps Lock AND a Ctrl lock! Think I'll treat myself to a new keyboard. I do have others but....

Is there any advantage of a USB keyboard over a PS2? I only have two spare USB ports, aside from the front panel ones.