Thread: Win Vista question reguarding CD key

Win Vista question reguarding CD key

Ok to start with my gf has a compaq desktop and as usual no install disc. My question is, i have a purchased copy of vista ultimate. that i used on one of my pc's, since her pc is using vista ultimate can i use my install disc and her key. Or will i just have to go through the motions (without a reciept) and try and get a repair disc from compaq??

thanks for any info

It "is" legal to borrow/loan/share OS Dvd's...Just NOT Keycodes

BUT, You can mix retail and OEM versions...Her keycode is a OEM version so you must use an OEM dvd.

Does her pc have a recovery partition like most pc's that were bouught in the last 4 or 5 years....

I think you can download it from Compaq, the key is on the Computer.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

I did not see an option at start up for the repair/recovery console at start up like i have seen before on other pc's from compaq. Her pc is approx. 2 yrs old and was purchased through Aron's a rto place.

My version of vista ultimate was purchased through newegg as for a new built pc not the upgrade version. Was just trying to find out if my dvd disc would work with her key code.

Her pc is working, but extremely slow because of adware/maleware. I have spent more time than its worth cleaning it up. So i figured would be better and easier to just do a fresh install

thanks for any info
    Last edited by blacknight31k; 01-29-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: eddit: just seen your post and will see if i can download it first before I try with my dvd of vista

well checked with the website and i can order recovery disc for 16$ and 5-7 working days. Seems a little nuts to pay 16 dollars for something that should have came with the pc. So i wil order the disc on monday.

In the meantime I'm thinking of trying my install disc and her key, I know that mine is an OEM version that I bought and hers is what came with her pc, so i'm thinking hers is an OEM version also. Any other suggestions or thoughts??

thanks for any info

OEM company like Compaq are required to provide the ability to redo the machine...But if he/she bought it used....

If Your DVD is a Full install OEM version it'll work.

well the one thing i did find out it that her key code on side of pc matches what they key generator showed being on her machine.

thanks again for all the help

Well everything went good and it worked fine. Now its running better than ever she says lol. now just gota upload all her pic's and music and a few other programs.

Thanks For All The Help

Very cool, glad you got it worked out.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV