Thread: Anti Virus choices; firewall

Anti Virus choices; firewall

We had used AVG on all our pc's for years but then switched to AVIRA as we were told by the office tech that it was more effective. Although I don't know about the effectiveness, I do know it is getting to be a big nuisance. A co worker came to me because she had gotten an alert from AVIRA that her pc was in imminent danger due to a lack of firewall. She has the Kerio free version on her pc. I just told her to cancel out and ignore the message. I also get at least two alerts per day wanting me to upgrade to the paid version. The large splash screen is more than a little irritating. From my reading, the paid version doesn't give me more than the free version in AVIRA unless I go to the top of the list which includes a firewall. If I switch back to AVG paid or free, what firewall works best in combo? I am especially concerned with two laptops using wireless connections. Happy holidays and thank yous to all who have helped us keep a volunteer computer center running with your timely advice.
    "nothing you do for children is ever wasted" Keillor

In the beginning I use to install or recommend Avira free , but people complained about the nagware ad. So, I started using AVG, Avast and Comodo. But, then those pc's came back infected. I now use Avira free again, and tell them clicking the "OK" on the ad is cheaper than me cleaning the pc. So far this has been working very well.

Comodo Internet Security works well for those who have good pc habits. Otherwise, I highly recommend just installing the firewall and Defense+, then install the AV of your choice.

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm

Comodo and Avira would be my freebie choices also. Avast is good also, but I don't care for AVG.