Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: re-boot corrupted WinXP ?

re-boot corrupted WinXP ?

This is my official plea for help ............

Windows no play nice

..oops,

Problem - at start up, Mother tells me: "disk not recognized" &/or "no disk in drive", when attempting to load Windows 2003 (from a "master disk", i might add).

The fact is: have a new WD Caviar Green 500 Gig HDD fresh out of the box.
    AND HAVE
    Successfully loaded Linux SUSE and road tested it on the net.

Background: Vaio VGC-RC210G Model PCV A51L (Desktop)
    Original OS = Windows XP MCE
    Intel 945 G/P Chipset
    Original HDD = two Seagate Barracuda 160 Gig

I believe the problem is due to a language corruption caused by using the Sony re-boot disk, which was NTFS in my (Then) FAT 32 based OS. (Because i was a big numb-nuts who acted rashly). Both Seagates fried.
    .................................................. ................
    Have partitioned off SUSE to dual-boot but no go.
    Also, thought the new Linux load would "erase" Windows problem in CMOS or BIOS. It did not.
    I have the BIOS Update and Original Factory Chipset from Sony, which I am told will also automatically re-install the factory originals , but am hedging my bet and asking for other ideas.

I just don't think it's hardware .................

I gratefully acknowledge any and all suggestions !!!!!!!!!!

I read what you wrote but am still shaking my head and saying: "WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?"

Your mother is installing Windows Server 2003?
    What do you mean by Master Disk?

What steps is she doin and what is the EXACT Error message she is getting?

Dear Mr Jones:

"Mother" = 'motherboard' = on screen display of re-boot status

Message is "Disk not recognized" along with "No Disk in CD Drive"

"Master Disk" is a limited edition copy of Microsoft's Windows which is registered for: Microsoft authorized, copies - for sale to end consumer. It's pure windows, no extra garbage.
    (One of my computer literate friends proud possessions)

To say the steps another way:
    1. Replaced two bad Seagate HDD with one Western Digital HDD. It was formatted and ready to go.
    2. All attempts to load Windows, failed. The Vaio will load into MBR but then flashes the messages I mentioned.
    3. Linux SUSE faultlessly loaded, from a CD, and worked as it should.
    4. Deleted Linux and then tried to load Windows again. Windows still would not load and on screen message was still .. no disk - not recognized.
    5 Again have Linux on HDD and have shrunk it's primary operating partition to allow a dual boot. Windows will still not cooperate.

What i think happened:
    1. A couple years ago- i changed my OS language from NTFS to FAT 32.
    2. Recently, i used Sony's Factory supplied "Shared Library" re-boot disks to re install programs i had deleted. These CD's also contained the 2003 XP MCE. They also were in NTFS !
    3. I unwittingly stopped the boot, in mid-stream.
    4. BSOD.
    5. No F-key and no configuration of any kind would work. I fried both Seagate Hard Drives, and had honestly thought: "Mom" too.

My working hypothesis is that Windows in schizoid and won't leave the premises. Or, to say it another way - that there is a loose fragment of programming or operating language in BIOS or CMOS that is, somehow, 'hanging-up'

All this rambling done, I do thank you for your attention !

Respects ,

1. Replaced two bad Seagate HDD with one Western Digital HDD. It was formatted and ready to go.
    Are you sure the motherboard is good? The chances of 2 drives dying is slim. You don't need to preformat the drive either. I don't see how you "fried" two drives.

4. Deleted Linux and then tried to load Windows again. Windows still would not load and on screen message was still .. no disk - not recognized.
    The XP CD doesn't have the properly HD controller drivers. You need to use the F6 option with the HD controller drivers on floppy or create a slipstreamed disc with the drivers included. It's easier if you just use the Sony Recovery discs. You're just making a bigger mess by adding Linux.

1. A couple years ago- i changed my OS language from NTFS to FAT 32.
    You cannot do that natively. You must have used some third party tool.

It sounds to me the "Master Disk" is not bootable, hence the message "no disk " when trying to boot from it . If that's the case, then this means you probably don't have a legit Windows disk. Since you were able to boot from a Linux CD then your "mother" is fine.

Without more info , I would second the opinion the original 160 gb drives are probably good .... and go with the Recovery Disks as MK advised.

THANK YOU Both for jumping in . . .

>>The Win Boot Disk was a legitimate part of my friends undergraduate work while going from IT to Security Certification at The University of Akron (Ohio), We used this disk to re-boot my sister's older Dell when it was attacked and went down. We used it to upgrade a friend (who was going on the web for the first time) from 2000 to Service Pack three. He has used it many other times to repair, re-install, etc. The boot disk is not an issue.
    >>For the record: because it has been used so many times, we made another copy and tried that, thinking maybe the handling and scratches on the surface could be problematic. No difference.

>>The Seagate's (SATA' s) were five years old, supplied with the Vaio Tower. Interestingly, Sony first used Western Digital in the line and there were accusations of substitution's being made and undeclared on the packaging. The Barracuda's have also let many others down recently and though Sony asserts their only failure's were in their laptop's, I am suspicious,
    I had one full (approx 154 gigs) with nothing but DVD videos. The other contained Audio CD's, text and pictures (no video of any kind).
    They were not in RAID but also were not partitioned off. The only partitions were one for the OS and a small 600 or 700 mb unused area.
    We took both out and used a hard interface module to test them on a friend's HP dual monitor. It was troublesome at first to get them to admit they were even there and when they did one would only acknowledge it's contents as 5 gig and the other indicated no memory capability. I don't know if this is related, but the one that had no memory identified itself on screen as a "Norton" product, Odd, considering i had deleted Norton Security when i switched to Mcvee.
    We took the HDD with only video and "realigned" it. What i mean is, my computer friend has an overwrite disk that not only overwrites but also restores the internal platters to a virgin or "clean" Factory condition . This HDD would not load and by all rights should have !

It was at this point I thought mom was gone.

>> I have since learned that others have had problems with FAT 32 and that I made a grave error by changing language. Regardless, all that was involved was to go into Window's "Help" Contents / go to "Fat 32" / follow the directions. (The Blue Print leads the way)

>>As far as Formatting a disk: i'm sure it's a slight misunderstanding. Everyone knows a HDD must have sectors partitioned off for volumes and operating systems and that this is dependant on the OS to be used. Can anyone say "f/disk".

so then, back to the issue - why will my Sony let Windows in as far as the Master Boot Record
    but not let it go further. It's as if Windows thinks it's broke and if it's broke, all other Wndows programs are broken too
    Is it possible for the original Sony info (which includes XP MCE and other "stuff") is to blame?.
    Could a part of Norton "hang-up" in BIOS or CMOS ?
    Is it worth the risk of Re-installing and updating the BIOS ?

all said,

Respects,

>>The boot disk is not an issue.
    The disc may be good, but that doesn't mean it has the drivers. That Sony uses a RAID0 setup by default, so you would need to add the RAID controller drivers. That's the whole point of the F6 option. Even f you disabled RAID, XP still needs the drivers.

I don't see how flashing the bios will help.

>>As far as Formatting a disk: i'm sure it's a slight misunderstanding. Everyone knows a HDD must have sectors partitioned off for volumes and operating systems and that this is dependant on the OS to be used. Can anyone say "f/disk".
    You can format during the XP setup, so there is no need to preformat.

>>>>>>>>>>"Midknyte", I Thank You for keeping in touch and do recognize that "F6" is your suggestion.

i, obviously insist that Windows is not recognizing Windows, independent of any hard drive.

>>>>>>>>later today, I am returning the rig I am using to my computer friend and will come back on line, courtesy of Linux, with my Sony.
    I have to load open office and a few other things and may try using GNOME to load Win.
    I'm going to also contact Sony e-support for suggestions.

Please understand, I honestly do thank you for your comments...........

Respects,

3 simple questions: RE Vaio & Windo

....well, things didn't go as I hoped and my computer dude is busy with some woman.......
    hormones are a terrible, terrible thing !

I did contact sony e-support if a SUSE download of BIOS was possible and if they had special insight to my perplexity.
    .............this lead me to wondering and have set down here three simple "yes" or "no" ?s

>>Assumption one: HDD good.
    >>Assumption two: all necessary drivers and controllers in place - BUT
    not necessarily working correctly
    >>Assumption three, four, & five: boot disk good, optical driver fine & BIOS works
    well enough to load and work with an OS other than windows

1. Can a Fragment of programming language become trapped in BIOS?

2. Can Operating language "mutate", due to a change from NTFS to Fat 32 ?

3. Can a problem with CMOS effect Windows performance but not Linx SUSE ?

I'd make it a contest with prizes, but then there' d have to be rules and people to enforce the rules and some more people to watch the enforcers of the rules, who, of course would need watched and monitored and then somebody would make a big deal out of some small print and we'd all be watching you tube for an idiot to make fun of us and ,,, well, i digress ................

Respects,

Event's log

I hope this doesn't turn into a journal, But,
    as I travel through the labyrinth of "not-knowingness", here's what Sony e-support says:

NOTE: The BIOS update can't be loaded using the Linux Operating System. there is no programming or Operating language mutation while changing from NTFS to FAT 32 file systems. No fragments of the Windows Operating System hangs the MBR.
    and:

NOTE: The Sony VAIO Notebook Computers are designed specifically to work with the Windows Operating System with which they ship. While we have heard that Linux will work, Sony has not tested Linux on our VAIO Computer systems.

and, lastly:

NOTE: Sony will also not assist in, or support our VAIO systems
    in a Linux "Dual Boot" configuration.

>>for the record, I never mentioned a dual-boot. Curious.
    >> they made no reference to language "fragments" possibly "hung-up" elsewhere

>> I probably should tell them that YES, Linux works with Vaio - because that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm happily on my own VGC-RC210G again, WITH SUSE AS the OS.
    >> I set up partitions when I booted 10.3, looking forward to the day I am able
    to load XP. I must confess, I like XP - it's "gooey".
    I'm not a programmer and not particularly adept with a keyboard Command lines and prompts are taxing to me.

>> also e-mailed Microsoft. Big surprise: they sent a "do not respond" answer along with three other addresses. I can only assume inter department rivalry prevented
    the passing along of my request for help. Though, Bill's place is pretty big - maybe they were scared to help without "genuine authority"

>>at the end: mom's apparently ok. (i.e., motherboard works). Maybe, she got's the flu ? !!!

all for now

Respects,

As Midknyte has pointed out already, to install XP on the WD 500gb sata drive you need to press the F6 key during setup to install the sata/raid drivers.

Intel Raid Driver , directions are included.

Note: I suggest you delete the linux partitions during the XP Setup so as not to run a dual boot.

As for the original hard drives, you should run Seatools to determine if they are defective or not. Its likely the drives are good, but the RAID array was corrupted, hence XP would not boot.

Note: The Sony Recovery disks would only work with 2 hard drives installed .

CMOS settings should reflect the single hard drive configuration. The Sony bios update file only works when running from Windows. Best you leave this alone as you could make your "mother" deceased if done improperly.
    Last edited by Rocketmech; 11-21-2009 at 07:37 PM.

..............basic T Y

...............Rocketmech - You Did Good !..............

The PRACTICAL suggestions are much appreciated.

>>Midknyte and I never got together about F6 and formatting -
    BUT, honestly,
    I can talk pretty nonsensically . On occasion.
    >>I Never Thought of The Drivers themselves!
    I mean, after all: no error message means noprublemmn.nns.
    Right ?

>>About them Seagaters. I will say, diplomatically: btdt.
    Followed directions. Did the E-mail thing. Even spent money to be on hold for a while.
    At the end - got: "don't know, but it ain't us" &
    "Spend some money. Come on man send dollars, we'll try. we'll try real hard. Send Money!"
    >>I pulled in a favor and left one hdd is in the hands of an experienced and well equipped
    IT / mechanic / programmer. High hopes, but time will tell
    >>Do appreciate your suggestion though.

>>NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF CMOS FOR ONE !!!!!!

>>will let you know experimental results later...........

.oh, Mom says thanks too .............

all said

Respects,

BEEP, BEEEEP.....BEEEPPP....BEEEP............NEWS FLASH

Had a little "Chat" with Sony, about 5 This Morning......

M= "meeee"
    S= Sony E-support

S>>the Computer is originally supplied with 320GB (160x2) Hard Drive.
    Maximum Hard Drive supported by the Computer is 320GB.
    The Computer will not be able to detect the Hard Drive with capacity greater than 320GB.

M>> Crashed with the two 160 gig Seagates now using one Western Digital, 500 Gig. Works with Linux ??!!

S>> I am sorry, the Sony Computers doesn't support the Linux Operating Systems.
    It is compatible only with the Windows Operating System.

M>>if not suppose to support >320, how can i be chatting with you ?

S>>The compatible Hard Drive for the Computer is 'SATA Hard Drive with speed 7200 rpm and capacity 320GB'.
    the Computer will support a maximum Hard Drive capacity upto 320GB.
    Anything above the mentioned specifications cannot be assured with the Computer.
    That is, the Computer may or may not recognise the Hard Drive with large capacity.

M>>Okay>>>here's a different approach>>>>The fact that I am Now doing what can't be done, is the risk I accept. My question is> Does the system require TWO HDD to boot Windows>?

S>> there is no need to use the two Hard Drives.
    The Computer can boot with the single Hard Drive.

M>>Thank YOU...now,

S>>You are welcome.

M>>Is it possible to,partition the 500 to "trick" Win xp ?

S>>May I know the Operating System installed in the Computer?

M>>Currently, open SuSE 10.3 >>>>>which sucks......

S>> you can use any third-party tools to partition the Hard Drive.
    Also, if you have already created the Recovery Discs, you can use the same to partition the Hard Drive.

M>>That was where I first recognized a problem. Win goes into the MBR, then My message is "disk not Recognized". That's why what you mentioned about the 320 limit is believable
    and yet, the Linux loads.....

S>>Yes, it seems that the Computer is not able to recognise the Hard Drive properly in the Computer.
    I am sorry for the typo.
    my sincere suggestion is that you use the compatible Hard Drive in the Computer to resolve the issue.

M>>I have a side ways approach and i dimmt typpe good neither
    load win from another HDD ?

S>>Yes, that's correct.

M??Okay, that's what I'll try next I have another rig with xp working, and
    I will take out the HDD and install in VAIO.
    Any Tips ???

S>> would like to forward a link to a page where you will get the instructions to replace the Hard Drive in the Computer.
    When you receive the link, please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.
    http://www.esupport.sony.com/US/perl...mdl=VGCRC210G# Are you able to view the page?

M>>Y

S>>Please click on the option 'VGC-RC Series Hard Disk Drive Replacement Instructions' to get the instructions.

M>>bare with me a sec....
    Now you know why I thinks Linux ......
    I will have to find a different way to use info
    Can you e-mail to me?

S>>Sure, I will forward this chat transcript to your E-mail ID for your reference.
    Please login to your E-mail ID to access the link.

.................end trans..................