Thread: PC Slow to boot and respond!

PC Slow to boot and respond!

My wife's work PC has been extremly slow the last couple of months. It takes longer to boot and programs take longer to open and respond/process commands.

I built it in August 2008 with AMD x2, Gigabyte MB, 2gig Kingston Ram, Seagate 250gig HD, Rosewill case w/350 watt PSU & XP Home. It is only used for office applications (Office 07, Peach Tree Accounting, Internet & email).

When she first started having problems I ran McAfee full scans and McAfee stinger, no viruses found. Installed and ran Malwarebytes, nothing found. Scan disk, defrag and scanned file systems. She took it back to work and got by until last week. I had her bring home over the week end, thinking that she had corrupted files and/or registry, I reformated and started from scratch. Still slow!

I ran Memtest86 and did not find any ram problems, checked BIOS settings and downloaded and ran some of the systems test from "The Ultimate PC repair CD". When I ran the Seatools from Seagate it found 15 errors and fixed them. This helped some, but not enough. I am formating and loading a 80gig WD drive now to see if it fixes the problem, if it doesn't what would ya'll recomend I do next?

Thank you for any and all help!
    Roundman

If seatools found errors, the WD drive should do the trick.

WD drive is working great! I built my son a the same time I built my wifes work PC and used the same parts and his computer slowed down earlier this year also. I thought his was due to web sites and off the wall games and music he had been down loading. I will check his HD also so mayge I can ship both of them back together.