Thread: Windows 7 upgrade won't install, can't find partition

Hybrid View

Windows 7 upgrade won't install, can't find partition

I built a new system a few months ago with Vista 64, which came with free windows 7 upgrade coupon.

Got my Windows 7 upgrade disc a few days ago but it will not install. After the first reboot of the install process it fails with the error message

"Windows cannot find the partition selected for installation"

I am running 2 partitions.

1- is 1 160GB HD with Vista and other programs
    2- is 2 500GB HDs in a RAID mirror with my data

I've tried updating the HD drivers, but Vista says all drivers are up to date. Any help would be appreciated.

PS I am not a computer nerd, so please explain everything very clearly. Thanks

Not being a PC nerd could be a handicap here.

If the motherboard uses a specific hard drive controller, you may need to load the appropriate hard drive controller drivers to get Windows 7 to find the partition. It's hard to say without knowing which motherboard brand and model you have. If you provide that info, we may be able to help.

Another possibility would be to go into BIOS setup first and change the SATA (if you have SATA) controller to "IDE mode" if that is a choice in BIOS setup. You will have to start Windows normally at least once to get IDE mode to load properly and then upgrade from within Windows.

To get into BIOS setup, watch the screen carefully when you first start for a prompt like "Press [x] to enter Setup".
    MS MCP, MCSE

Well I put this system together so I know everything that's in it, I just don't know what's relevant, and how it all works, so I'll tell you all I know and see if that helps

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP 45-UD3P

OS hard drive is WD1600AAJB hooked up to IDE (older drive left over from previous PC doesn't have SATA connection)

RAID mirror drives are 2 WD5001AALS hooked up to SATA on motherboard, using the Gigabyte built in RAID configurer.

I have one partition on the OS drive and one on the RAID mirror. Partitions were made using the Vista installer when I installed it. The Win 7 upgrade doesn't even ask about partitions, it just says it cannot find the partition selected for installation. I'm assuming it's looking for the partition with Vista on it, and cannot recognize that drive for some reason. Vista installed without a hitch, but that was a clean install, and this is an upgrade, though I don't understand how that makes a difference.

I know how to get into the BIOS, and RAID utility but don't know what I should be looking for that could cause this problem.

I'll check the BIOS and see if it's set for SATA or IDE for that drive next.

Ok, when booting up I hit DEL. this takes me into CMOS setup utility.

I go to Integrated Peripherals were I see these settings, (I think one of this might be the BIOS setting your talking about)

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode................Disabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE device...........Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode......RAID/IDE

I remember from when I first put this PC together, instructions in the motherboard manual for how these settings needed to be in order for the RAID to work.

Since the drive is connected to IDE, it shouldn't matter what the setting is. Leave it.

Are you trying to upgrade from within Windows or are you booting directly from the Window 7 upgrade disk?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    Since the drive is connected to IDE, it shouldn't matter what the setting is. Leave it.

Are you trying to upgrade from within Windows or are you booting directly from the Window 7 upgrade disk?
    I tried both, if I boot from the installation disc, when I select upgrade (instead of custom install) it tells me to reboot and run it from Vista. I think it will only work booting from the disc if you are doing a complete install.

Is it possible that that disc and/or controller are not compatible with windows 7? How would I know that?

No - IDE is IDE and Windows 7 has the drivers. I use the same motherboard and it's nothing special in that regard.

Are you using anything like Norton GoBack?
    MS MCP, MCSE

No - IDE is IDE and Windows 7 has the drivers. I use the same motherboard and it's nothing special in that regard.

Are you using anything like Norton GoBack?
    Nope, was using Norton Anti-virus about a month ago, then was using Kaspersky Anti-virus. But per the directions from Microsoft I uninstalled that before I even tried the upgrade.

I have Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS2, Hugin, PDF reader, an Epson scanner utility, Winamp, Firefox, Quicktime and that's all I can think of. I can't see how any of these programs would mess it up.

Do you think it would make a difference if I tried a full install vs. the upgrade? I've thought of that but don't want the hassle of reloading and setting up my programs.

Could something in my RAID configuration be messing it up? Is there a way I could disable it (without messing it up) and try the install with just the one partition available, then enable the RAID again?

Yes - I would disconnect the RAID drives and try again.

I had to do a clean install. It took time, but I don't regret it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yes - I would disconnect the RAID drives and try again.

I had to do a clean install. It took time, but I don't regret it.
    No go, I tried disconnecting my RAID drives, but then it won't boot, says it cannot locate BOOTMNGR

So I next tried a clean install. When I do this it actually pops up and shows me both partitions, (so IT DOES know it's there) and asks me which one to install windows on, I select the partition, it does its thing, reboots and... ... SAME THING "windows cannot locate the partition selected for installation"

What else can I possibly try? This is nuts, the only reason I got Vista was because it came with the free windows 7 upgrade, and no wit won't work.

Apparently, some of the boot files are on the RAID array. You *must* load the RAID drivers during the initial restart after starting the upgrade. Watch the screen for a prompt for 3rd party storage drivers. Unzip the RAID drivers to a flash drive and use that flash drive to supply the WIN7 setup with them.

On your motherboard, I believe that you have both Intel and Gigabyte RAID controllers. Check your manual to see which you're using.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I got it finally.

I changed

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode......RAID/IDE

to

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode......IDE

That way the clean install finally recognized the partition as valid. Then after the install I had to change it back to RAID/IDE so it would recognize my RAID partition.

WHEW, what a pain.

Thanks so much for the help.