Thread: Messing about with movies

Messing about with movies

Don'y know if this is the right place or not.
    I have an mpeg movie my grandson-in-law took of me on my stairlift to ilustrate what is wrong with the darned thing and to shake the repair man out of his complacency.
    I have the file in my PC where Ben left it and I managed to make (what I thought was) a CD to send to the guy.
    It plays on my computer but not on a friend's computer. When I look at the CD there are 6 folders, CDI; EXT; MPGAV;PICTURES; PLAY & VCD.
    In the MPGAV is a file AVSEQ01.DAT which wil play on my machine using Windows Media Player. On her computer it says the PC will look for an app. which will play the DAT file. Nothing found and that aplies to her laptop also mine.
    All I want to do surely, is to copy the MPEG file on to a CD? If so how?
    Of course, you'll tell me NO that's no good. So any idea what I must do? I know nothing about movies though apparently I have a Digital Camers (Sony) whih can take MPEG.
    What an old duffer I hear you say. Easy peasy! Well, not for this old geezer.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You need to load the video codecs on the PC to play the MPEG file.

My DVD software included them but you can install the codecs individually.

I'm sure someone will post with a link to the download of the codec installer for you.

klite codecs seem to play prety much any media format I have come accross

http://k-lite-codec-pack.en.softonic.com/

ps to use the full (5) version you must have win 2000 or higher. basic will work on older os,s
    Last edited by wardD; 09-21-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Just shows you how much I know!
    I expect Ben thought I knew all that highly technical stuff. He's a clever bugger, works for IBM in all sorts of troubleshooting situations. Ha.
    Not me.
    Thanks and perhaps someone will tell me what I need as you say.
    I use Nero 8 as the burning application, does that help folks?

My burner is an Optiarc DVD/CR/R/RW probably can do it on it's own, standing on it's head and singing Rule Britannia in red,white & blue suit!

docusk
    Exits stage left gently humming God save the Queeen.
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Hello WardD (that sounds like a place I have worked in in UK terms) or even emergency ward ten!
    I knew this would happpen, just as I replied to our friend and mentor, Sterling, ding and up comes your useful URL - for which grateful thanks.

regards to all. docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

well its nice to help someone out as aposed to everyone helping me out.

cheers.

I use VLC to play just about everything. No messing around with codecs. I've mentioned it a bunch of times on this forum.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/