Thread: Modem/Router

Modem/Router

I am currently in the process of changing ISP'S to AT&T and My old DSL modem isn't compliant with their system. So I had to buy a new AT&T dsl modem that is an all in one dsl modem/router/wireless type. I am currently using the linsys 54WG wireless router.

My concern is that by setting the AT&T device up is that they will be able to see all the computers in use and try to charge me for each one. Is it possible to use just to use the AT&T for dsl modem? Then just plug it in to the linksys 54WG and run everything from it.

Don't see why it shouldn't work. Since routers and switches can be daisy chained.

To connect two routers, all you need is a patch cable and just connect it to one of the LAN (not WAN) ports on each router. If you are going to use a patch cable, you need to make sure your routers have mdi-x autosensing ports. If you hook everything up correctly, and it's not working, then you may need to use a crossover cable.
    You will need to disable DHCP on the linksys router and assign it an IP address that matches your current network. You will have to configure the linksys router before you hook it up to your new modem/router. Make sure you leave the WAN port open on the linksys router.

I think you are wasting you time.

AFAIK ATT (at least in the USA) does not care or charge for the computers behind the Router.

You pay for one connection with a certain Speed.

Computers behind the Router share the Speed, thus using more computers does not take more bandwidth from the ISP, it just slows down your computers surfing.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Thanks for the help everyone! much appreciated.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    With AT&T posting in help, how to set a network up.

They would rather you use a router than multi IP numbers as it is cheaper for them.