Thread: new motherboard

new motherboard

I plan on replacing my MB in my E-Machine T3265. The new board is a ASUS
    M3A78-CM with a AMD athlon X2 processor. Will I be able to use my e-machine restore disk ( Win XP Home) or will I have to buy a new OS disk ? I want to use my old IDE hard drive but if I have to buy a new OS I'm going to go with a SATA drive. Read the sticky about motherboard replacement but unsure about using the restore disk.
    Thank you in advance.

The eMachines CD is an image, not an OS install disk. From my experience with eMachines it won't work, at least not without a heck of a lot more work than I was ever willing to put into it. It looks for a particular motherboard and the ASUS isn't one of them.

At this point you have a new computer, better than what the new hardware replaces. Use a retail (unbranded) XP CD. You may be able to get Microsoft to let you reuse the eMachines XP product key since - I assume - the mobo failed, not the hard drive. It's a judgment call on their part, but worth trying.

BTW, spend a few more bucks and replace the OEM power supply! It's probably Bestec brand, known for failing and taking the mobo with it. Better be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Lgbpop; 06-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Will I be able to use my e-machine restore disk
    Nope. It checks the bios for a match, similar to what Toshiba and HP/Compaq do.

OK thanks guys. Guess I'll buy new OS and go with the SATA drive.