Thread: Laptop CPU Fan Broken

Laptop CPU Fan Broken

The CPU fan of my sisters Sony Vaio VGN PJ270P laptop had been very noisy lately so I bought a can of compressed air and thought getting rid of the dust would fix the problem, but I must have broken the fan somehow while shooting it with air because it wont spin anymore.. Ive looked online but i cant seem to find a replacement fan. I think I could manage installing it myself, if I bought one. Does anyone know of any good websites with replacement parts? or is it maybe time for a new laptop?
    Thanks

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Replacing a laptop CPU fan requires taking the entire laptop apart with almost every screw being taken out (approx. 30+ screws). It would take about an hour to replace it (being careful). Prices should range about $30 for the heatsink/fan combo assembly.

Check ebay for parts for the EXACT model number. Close does not always cut it for a laptop.

Thanks Sterling, I find a professional to install it for me, but we're still looking for the exact replacement. Where can I find the heat sink model number?

I found it, but its out of stock:
    http://www.laptoprepairco.com/itemde...3&category=fan
    Ill put myself on the waiting list and keep looking.

That price is for the entire HSF unit. If you can remove that plastic ducting from the metal base of your existing HSF, you may be able to find a generic replacement for the fan only and save $50.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!