Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

That's why I kept asking you about device manager.

Even safe mode may not be enough. You may need to view "phantom" devices also.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Go into SAFE MODE, Device manager, Expand the USB.
    Remove all instances of USB. When all are removed, reboot to windows.
    The OS should pick the usb and install the drivers.

Had to do that last weekend to get rid of the multi installs that was messing things up.
    Train, I'm having the same problem that zillah is having with this adapter. I'm running xp sp3 on a dell dimension with everything up to date. regardless of everything i've tried i can not get windows to recognize 2 different internal hard drives (both working) and a cd burner. When you mention the word "instances" about usb in device manager, what exactly do u mean? When I go into my device manager and expand USB i have multiple host controller and root hub listing in the drop down. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    i can not get windows to recognize 2 different internal hard drives (both working) and a cd burner.

Have you checked in the BIOS [also called setup] to see if they are picked up in there.
    If you have a second IDE connector on the mobo [motherboard] , make sure it is enabled in the BIOS.

Then check in Disk management to see if it shows up there, if it does, enable it and it should then show up in My Computer.

Fact is go into Disk management, if you have a cd/dvd device already and change the drive letter to something like R:\ and try you hdd again.
    Last edited by Train; 08-27-2009 at 12:28 PM.

I dont know if this thread is dead, or if anyone will respond to this, but i am new to all of this and I am having the same problem that Zillah was having, and i was wondering how would I "Remove all instances of USB" ibn safe mode?I went onto the safe mode, into device manager, but then i was stumped. sorry if this is an idiot request, but i have never done this.

PS: only my main hdd shows up in disk manager, and only the sata/ide cable shows up in device manager

The thread is over 6 months old, but the members should still be around.

First things first. Does the drive work when you connect it directly to a motherboard?

Yes, the IDE hdd does. Im not sure about the SATA because the laptop that was taken out of was water damaged. The IDE i have inserted into my laptop into place of my own hdd and it works fine.

ps: thank you for the quick reply...

If the SATA drive doesn't work via direct connect to a motherboard, then don't expect it to work on USB. Test that first.

As I said in post #16, you may need to use the phantom devices method to see all devices in device manager.

Oh right, I didnt realize that it had to be IDE if the laptop only had IDE connections. I can try it tomorrow on another computer that has a sata connection. But shouldnt the ide hdd work. I have it plugged in at the moment, and the drive is spinning, I can hear and feel it, but nothing is showing up on either device manager or disk managment.(except of course the exclamation marks.)
    The exclamtion marks are named "Parport", "Serial", and "STDSB"

With regard to post 16, I did that and I found 3 items marked with an exclamation mark. I right-clicked and uninstalled the items, restarted the laptop, and reinstalled the drivers. When i rechecked for the phantom devices, the same three items were marked again.
    Last edited by Johnos; 11-19-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: named exclamation marks

If you can see the device in device manager, that is not a "phantom device". The device is seen if you can see exclamation marks. You mean that the device is not recognised properly. Did you install the drivers?

It would help if you gave details about the hardware and software. Make/model of the devices and which OS you are running would be a start.

ok, sorry about that, i should have started at the beginning. im running windows xp sp3. i got a usb to sata/ide cable from ebay. the only writing on the cable says ZILI(i dont think this is the brand name though. i googled it but got nothing) When i first plugged in the cable it installed drivers.

When i plug in the cable without any hard drive attatched, device manager picks it up as a mass storage device, and under disk drives it has usb to sata/ide usb device. When I then attatch the hard drive, nothing seems to change.

Again, I need to alpologize for misinformation. I have just checked phantom devoces with the cable unplugged the ones with the exclamation marks are still there, i had just assumed earlier that they were there because of the hard drive.
    Last edited by Johnos; 11-20-2009 at 12:29 PM.

I copied your posts to a separate thread. Please start a new topic instead of hijacking someone else's next time.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205010

OK,thanks for doing that for me. i didnt mean to hijack someone elses thread, i thought i had the same problem, and i thought that his result would fix mine, but i didnt understand the solution