Thread: 1TB drives and which to get

1TB drives and which to get

So, I have toggled between Seagate and WD over the past decade and lately find fewer RMAs with WD. Seagate was great for a while with 5 yr warranties but now WD and Samsung match that or go to 7 years!!

So, I'm ready to buy some TB drives on Newegg again to copy LOTS of data... I am deciding on just one time copies and storing in a safe place OR pairing them with enclosures (Max 4-Thermaltake) and putting on a second computer. As long as I have all data in duplicate I don't mind running the drives vs backing them up for a closet.

So, the CERTAIN features I will go with are, internal, 1TB and higher (though I've had too many DOA 1.5 and 2TB drives to deem them as reliable), SATA, and at least 7200 RPM (any 10,000's worth it for my needs?. That mainly gives me 7 drives to choose from...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4340&name=32MB

I could go low end around 84.99 so what feature or improvement (if any) justifies the ones going for almost double the price? I've read a bit on Tom's Hardware but still- can anyone suggest the best bang for the buck and why? Thanks in advance because my other consideration is getting an Intel SSD as my OS and programs drive and will maybe save the expense on a big drive(s).
    Last edited by zillion; 11-16-2009 at 05:42 PM.

The $159 drives are all business class or special RAID versions. You don't need them. I would get the Caviar Black or the cheap Samsung.
    MS MCP, MCSE

i'll suggest getting the Seagate 1.5 TB drives instead of the 1.0 drives

for $20 more you get much much more space.

i got 12 x 1.5 TB from seagate, and they have all been solid.

i've been finding a lot of bad western digitals, they die after a few months, and it's a hassle to send them back to factory to have them replaced
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5