Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IE8 How Turn Off Suggested Sites

FOUND THE ANSWER...WOO HOO...

Ok, that was annoying me too. Some of my favorites I don't want to show up in the address bar.

The feature you are referring to is the AutoComplete feature.

Here is how to turn it off.

Click on "Tools" -> "Internet Options"-> Click on the middle tab called "Content"

The third section down is called "AutoComplete"

Click on the "settings" button in the "AutoComplete" section

In the window that pops up, you'll see the ability to control
    how your address bar uses AutoComplete.

The top check box says "Address Bar"
    Under that, you will see
    -Browsing history
    -Favorites

I unchecked favorites, saved and closed everything, then opened a new browser
    and tried it out.

NO MORE suggestions.

That setting is for autocompleting suggestions from your browsing history and favorites.

I would uncheck both if using a shared computer.

Let me know if that helps.

Later,
    Brian

IE8 How Turn Off Suggested Sites

I discovered an easier method. Right click on the Favorites button (upper left), and unclick "Favorites Bar".

Smile auto-complete

rwinegar, i have solved your problem. i had the same issue when i forst got ie8 and it drove me f-ing crazy. i tried everything with 'suggested sites' and 'compatability mode,' but nothing ever worked. it got to the point to where i had to set ie8 to delete browsing history and favorites upon window exit. this is pointless and an inconvenience, so what you need to do is turn off the 'auto-complete' function. go to the 'tools' tab and scroll down to 'internet options.' select the 'content' tab and click on the 'auto-complete settings' button. from there, uncheck the 'address bar' box and voila! you can thank me with a six-pack...rolling rock...no wait, red stripe. heh

Red face whoops

holy ****, i just realized bdambrose already solved that for you. he deserves the sixer!

Firefox/Mozilla rules... I will NEVER install IE8.... only reason I have IE7 is for the few places that require it.

Thumbs up It doesn't really FIX the problem, but...

Hi,

I agree that the 'Suggested Sites' button cannot be removed. As others have written, it can be rt-click Deleted, but it always comes back. After trying just about everything else I could find on the topic, here's what I did to 'fix' the problem/annoyance in my current XP SP3/IE8 configuration:

in <C:>\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Favorites\Links *:
    1. rt-click on the Suggested Sites.url file
    2. select Properties then General tab
    3. click on the Attributes: Hidden checkbox then click Ok

It'll still be there in the Favorites Bar, but at least you won't have to see it.

Good luck

* At least in XP (dunno about 7; not using that until next week ;-), in the Folders pane of windows explorer, '\Links' shows up as 'Favorites Bar'. However in the Address field, it shows up as '\Links' so that's why I typed it that way

Maybe if you Google it you might find a fix for it,,,Sorry I cant stand ungrateful brats people like that.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

It's amazing how people looking for help can have such an attitude... :/
    Have a nice day

After re-reading the OP's posts, it seems like he's trying to turn off the "Search Suggestions" in the search tool in the upper-right corner of IE8. (Not suggested sites or address bar autocomplete.)

If that's the case, here's how you turn that off:

1. Click Tools on the toolbar and select Internet Options
    2. Click the Settings button next to Search. That will bring up a Manage Add Ons window with Search Providers already selected
    3. Click on your default search provider in the right part of the window
    4. About half way down the window is a heading that says "Search Suggestions: Enabled" and immediately to the right of that should be a link that says "Disable Suggestions". Click that link and the heading should change to "Search Suggestions: Disabled".
    5. Click Close, and then OK. Search suggestions should now be turned off.

This post is one of the many reasons for now i haven't updated to IE8 as of yet. I was told of the better security etc.., but there is alwys so many security measures MS uses that do not work right, are a pain in the rear, or like your issue, in todays world unwated sponsers are always finding ways to barge in, or even MS might know about these on purpose just to try and sell us something. Its just the way our world works nowadays. Ever anylyze how TV commercials are getting shorter an shorter, and how much we trully are being brainwashed here and there?? Thank heavens for the ole clicker remote heh?
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

After trying all the suggestions above, with negative results (the **** Suggested Sites kept on reappearing on my Favorite bar) I decided on drastic actions, and this worked.
    I went to Start > Run > regedit – From here I searched for the I edit-searched for “Suggested Sites” and found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Suggested Sites]
    I deleted this registry HKEY and guess what? The **** Suggested Sites are no more!
    I have used the system for several days now, with no problem. The tab “Suggested Sites” in the dropdown menu “Tools” is not clickable.
    Last edited by Train; 01-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Maybe some people will come across this problem still, none of the above comments actually explained how to switch off suggested sites. It is very simple, so simple in fact, even a computer programmer could do it!!!! (only joking programmers out there)
    1 Open web browser and click tools
    2 Click on Internet options
    3 Click on the advanced tab (the last tab)
    4 in the main window in the advanced tab under browsing, uncheck "Turn on Suggested Sites"
    5 Click Apply, click Done

Congrats, problem solved