Thread: newbie going in loops

newbie going in loops

I am a newbie and have three older computers {real old} 1st: sis630s-onboard

everything. 512 megs of memory. dvdr/w cdrw 40gig HD unsure of brand name,

have the mobo disk but it won't load drivers. we can load windows 98 but when

we attempt xp and it either tells us there's no HD tho there is, or that it cannot

load certain files. I have tried everything i can think, just skiping thru them to just

refill the missing parts later. i have tried retrying it, and quitting it {wich

deffinately didn't help} i have read the NTLDR is missing thread but it didn't help

as i do not know how to access the root {boot.ini as i have been informed this is

the file}. i have no idea how to fix this i have tried for quite sometime and no dice.

any help you can give me is very much appreciated. Also how can we take files

from an NT-based computer to read fat32-based file format? We have all the files

we need on an NT-based computer however the fat32 will not read them on

anything we've tried. look forward to your input. thanks for your time,

rob {ward's nephew}

What version and Service Pack for XP ? I've seen XP SP3 choke when installing on an older system.
    Also, its very important to run a memory and hard drive diagnostic before going further, especially if your getting errors. You can use a UBCD to run the diagnostics.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

first disk out 2002 probably SP 2. not sure exactely but it might be loadingup, will know for sure in a few.

Definitely do hardware diags before you waste time messing with software.

first disk out 2002 probably SP 2
    Doubtful. SP2 didn't come out until 2004. You should make a slipstreamed XP disc with at least SP2, if not SP3.

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...streamer.shtml

we've got it done and loaded and running fine. what we did was instead of overwriting the default windows file we wrote to a new file called: "windows1". it appears to work fine, thank you for your help, will remmeber the hardware diagnostics. Now we have to get one more working, he he, this should be fun.

hey all, uncle ward here.

so the the start of this thread was created by my nephew, a young lad that wants to learn how computers tick.

I have three old computers a whack of small hd,s and a bit of ram and old video cards and well , a bunch of paraphenilia.

its been a long while since Ive played with the basics of computers, finding drivers, hell, figuring out what the model of your modem or video card was( before sandra or everst home) when you had to run the fcc # that sorta thing.

any way,s we did get the sis 630 going, not realy sure how, and it does ask me which win xp I want to boot from?????? however thats not the point . the point is if we didnt get xp working, we would have had to find and install all the drivers.

what the young lad needs is your devine guidence in acheving these goals with out the assistance of win xp or vista.

he has access to his home computer but its xp also and its probably me, but i cant seem to copy a file from an nt based rig and get it to read on a fat 32 (win 98) machine(that will be another thread) but the machine I will give him is a p3 win 98 loaded on it , but probably needs all the drivers Id like to be more specific but its been a long time and well the point here is the young padawon( robbie) wants to learn how to make them tick, so Im just going to thank every one in advance and ask you be patient with him(we were all young once) and leave this thread to him untill he wants to get his own sysopt acc.....

cheers, ward.

Welcome to Sysopt Rob! I would suggest you register, then ask away. You will find just reading thru others post will expand your knowledge. Check the "sticky's" they contain all the general info.

The Sis630 is an old chipset. You will want to update all the drivers and bios if needed before installing your programs, etc.

The "Windows1' thing means you have a duplicate Windows installed. The first was likely never finished. Follow this guidline to remove the nonworking Windows.

Afterwards I would suggest you:

1. Update all the drivers and bios if needed.
    2. Update Windows XP from Windows Update.
    3. Adjust personal settings such as themes, desktop background, user accounts, display properties, etc.
    4. Delete Temps and defrag .
    5. If all is working well at this point make a backup image to CD or DVD.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

As for the old P3 system and W98 vs NT files etc. , I'm not sure what exactly your asking. I would install W2K or XP if you need to move old NT files from the old pc. Just be sure to format using NTFS during setup.

thanks rocketmech, ya prety much peged,er. glad you poped in that guidline link ,I was just going to delete the unfinished install of xp and rename the windows1 folder to just windows but, i guess thats not the right answer. anyway, thanks again, and I will let Rob know he,s got some fixin to do!

regards, ward

Hmmm, I forgot Drive Backup Express doesn't support CD/DVD. You would need to backup to a hard drive first, then burn the image using your burning software, ex. Nero. Of coarse, True Image Home would be a much better choice.

hey, i just got my account {ward's nephew} and i obviously have alot to learn. I'm as green as

grass right now on software matters. Thanks for the warm welcome earlier in the thread, and

for the advice as well. i plan to ask as many questions as i can burden you guys with and thx in

advance for being patient with my greeness.

What edition and Assistance Package for XP ? I've seen XP SP3 jampacked when setting up on an mature program. Also, its very essential to run a storage and difficult generate analytic before going further, especially if your getting mistakes. You can use a UBCD to run the diagnostics.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    The last post was 09-09-2009