Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems ...

Hybrid View

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems ...

The problem: Recently, my PC started crashing during game play with fatal errors, then eventually i started getting blue screens of death. I ran a chkdsk and it said "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." So I reformmated my harddrive ( it was a new system didnt care much for the files) and immediately after reformatting I ran another chkdsk and it said again: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems ... .

Now I ran both the quick test and advanced test with hitachi's DFT, and everything came out as successful code 0x00. RAMTest86 said everything was fine, and the test ran successfully through 4 runs.

Other background info:

One of my sticks of RAM was bad and that was replaced by the company, my motherboard was fried as well and that had to be returned, also my video card was replaced, all within 2 months of the purchase of the PC. Things were working fine for awhile before these random crashes started happening. A few viruses were found from my dad carelessly downloading on limewire but those were taken care of.

Also since those new parts were installed on the PC, my original OEM windows XP CD would not work so I got an ISO of an XP CD with SP2 on it (cuz my old one was SP1). During the installation of the XP with SP2, a file per_seg5.swf could not be installed.

My questions to you are:

1.) Should I suspect a hardware problem?

2.) Could the inability for the per_seg5.swf file be the cause of why the volume has one or more unrecoverable errors?

I really need to know soon so I can make an accurate decision of whether or not to send in the PC again. If nothing's found hardware wise i gotta pay the fee for shipping both ways PLUS a 100$ penalty.

Thanks in advance!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    1.) Yes. It does sound like a hardware problem with the hard drive or the mobo hard drive controller.

2.) I doubt it. You need to create your own ISO using your original OEM Windows CD and slipstreaming the Windows SP3 files into it. DO NOT use SP2 since there are numerous new updates that you would have to download and install anyways.

Get a copy of nLite to make the new CD:

http://www.nliteos.com/

It takes so little time and works great.

Thanks a lot when I get back home I'll try out the new ISO.

As far as the hardware, I was kind of worried you would be right but I had to check.

If there are other opinions please let me know too.

Is the hard drive a Hitachi or not? You may also run Seatools to make sure it isn't a drive problem.

You ran Memtest86+ not plain Memtest86, right? I've seen cases where systems pass with the older one, and fail on the "+" version.

UBCD has hard drive diags, memtests, etc. Download Beta 5 it if you haven't already. V 4.1.1 is kinda old now.

Of course, verify that your install CD is good too.

My HDD is a hitachi

And thanks for letting me know about sea tools, ill try then while I sleep tonight

After running Seatools, the Short DST run was a pass and the Long DST was a pass, however the SMART scan was a fail.

Anyone know what this could mean? Thanks

It means time for a new hard drive.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/...esSMART-c.html

*Sigh I guess it's time for this HDD to go, this is the 4th bad part to go on this PC. Just as an FYI, the PC where I got this from was ibuypower.com. Whether or not I just have the bad luck of the draw, this company is incompetent for not detecting these problems earlier.

4 parts in 3 months is inexcusable, I don't even care if these parts are made overseas, there's no excuse.

However you guys have been great on this forum and will return for all other computer problems.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Of course there is an excuse. They just buy cheap parts and then sell them as cheap as possible to people who insist on paying the lowest price they can.

It is a market/consumer driven problem, not a vendor driven problem.

I buy quality and I have no problems paying for it.

In all fairness, I think ibuypower got away with selling these units without individually testing the parts and sold them to consumers in hopes of nothing going wrong for the majority at least.

It's the exceptions like me that get screwed over in the end though. Either way I don't want this to sound like a sob story but again thanks for everything.

This PC is just the gift that keeps on giving...

New symptoms: Other diagnostic tests were ran, and can read S.M.A.R.T. just fine!
    In fact I've read other forums that state that Seatools SMART scan failing has been been quite common, even though other signs of HDD weren't evident and were 100% fine. The rest of my HDD scans were fine as far as physical symptoms.

So now the only thing that remains is chkdsk is still failing to work, could there be a possibility that the windows CD I had used, contribute to this problem?

I'm running out of ideas =[[

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Have you tried chkdsk /r in safe mode?
    Or from the recovery console?

I started it with the recovery console then went to bed. In the morning, all was well for me. Might be worth the try for you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Have you tried chkdsk /r in safe mode?
    Or from the recovery console?

I started it with the recovery console then went to bed. In the morning, all was well for me. Might be worth the try for you also.
    Yes I would receive the errors on the recovery console.

As for midknyt I'm sorry I didn't know if you wanted me before to slipstream SP3 to solve that per_seq5.swf file. I guess it's worth a shot to check to make sure there's nothing wrong with the recovery console. Thanks!

I already told you to verify your install disc. You should make a slipstreamed SP3 disc using your known good disc.

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...streamer.shtml

Okay midknyt, things were looking pretty good, chkdsk DID work with the new slipstreamed CD, however chkdsk /p found one or more errors, but it didnt say unrecoverable thankfully. I ran a 3 hour chkdsk /r and sure enough repaired all the errors!

Midknyt you worked wonders and saved me a lot of time and hassle with the RMA department.