Thread: Hit Key system locks up.

Hit Key system locks up.

Hello Guys. Been a while since I needed to search here.
    Running a

Asus P4S800D-X mothereboard
    3.0 Ghz CPU Intel
    2 GB Ram DDR 400 ?crucel ??
    Geforce 6800 GT 256MB Video Card

No over clocking. Just out of the blue it started freezing up. I'd come down to check on a game and the red working light would be on soild. Nothing would work not even the Ctrl / Alt / Delete key. A few times I would hit a key and it would freeze up. As I worked on it I noticed the HD would not show up during boot up. After racking my brain for a few hours I searched your site and the first hit fixed it.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...system+locking

I reinstal windows xp on another HD I had because of the amount of reboots that were improperly performed I figured the other HD may be bad. And after the instal I rebooted it and after only a few minutes it failed. So I shut it down and replaced the Power supply it's like a new system again.

So I was wondering Is there any type software to test the power supply out there ?

Thanks Guys this site saves the day again.

Joe

There are some cheap power supply testers out there that can confirm that a PSU is bad, if the voltages are out of spec, but they cannot confirm that a PSU is good because the PSU must be tested under load and must be tested over a long period of time to be able to detect a sudden spike from a venting capacitor or some other IC that fails under protracted heat.
    The best way to test is to do as you have done, that is, swap out the unit and see what happens.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Apevia

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Go into power management and set the hdd to never shutdown.

Make sure the fan of the video card, should it have one, is clean as overheating of that card can lock things up like that.
    Are all the case fans working?