Thread: no sound, new build

no sound, new build

have not been able to get my sound up and running after a new build.

Quad core processor
    asus p5ql pro: onboard sound, lan
    4 gb crucial ram
    basic video card
    coolermaster case

I am unable to get the sound for my speakers, and front port for headphones working.

I am running vista 64 bit

Have updated to the most recent version of the driver.

I have some speakers that I know work, there are only 2 of them and are not digital. Does this matter? With the speakers hooked up, in the realtek software, the ports are not identified as filled. No speakers are listed.

Do I need digital speakers?

I have the front port attached on the mobo to the dv port as indicated in the manual.

when I do testing the mixer shows that sound is playing, but no sound coming out. I have tried windows sounds, cd, mp3 files etc. no change.

Any ideas?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Is the volume muted?

no, unfortunately.

I am puzzled with this since both the speakers from the rear ports and the front do not work (even with headphones that work fine on my laptop).

Again, when a sound is playing, the equilizer shows activity in every case: cd, mp3, windows sounds.

The REaltek software did however pick up the ports in the front when I switched to AC97 from HD audio in the bios, but still no sound. In device manager everything looks fine, there are no unrecognized devices etc.

Could the board be bad (actually the physical ports)? I guess that is the bottom line.

Would a bios update potentially help?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Triple check the on board connections. Verify them with the online manual too.

I had found one written one that was in error. I had to disable the rear when I used the front connections.

When I built my computer my sound as well didn't work. It was a setting in the bios that I had turned off but it seems like you have already turned that on. I would just do what train said about checking every connection.
    -BTY
    Dear Diary,
    Jackpot!
    -Quagmire

I just went through something similar with Realtek onboard sound. I fixed it by downloading the latest chipset, audio drivers and software from the mobo manufacturer. Installing these drivers from the executables did not work so I removed all audio drivers and software and and forced Windows to ask me to point to them. It all works now. I was starting to think that the front ports were defective.