Thread: Stop error, XP Home

Stop error, XP Home

I was brought a HP desktop by my daughter from her church daycare center that is rebooting after Windows splash screen and have found the Stop error mesg. which reads;

STOP: c0000221 {Bad image checksum} The image urlmon dll is possibly corrupt. The Header checksum does not match the computer checksum.

Have been able to run the PC with a Linux Live CD and it runs fine so I don't believe there is a problem with the memory or the PSU. Harddrive ?, haven't had a chance to pull it and test it.

Searched yahoo and found a few STOP mesg that were close and one with it but it didn't show a solution. Most refered to memory problems and a few related to a Windows update that is corrupt.

Anyone know a fix? Right now I have no history on this machine as I have not been able to contact anyone at the Center.

It could very well be a failing hard drive - or just one corrupted file. Gotta run an HDD diag for sure. If that checks out, a simple XP repair should fix it.

UBCD4Win should allow you to copy the URLMON file from another location - there should be other copy on the hard drive. A search would turn it up. Copy to the System32 folder.

It's probably a good idea to scan for bugs as these kids know pretty much nothing about PC security. Again, UBCD4Win would be a good idea. If you're going to be doing random PC repair, it should be your primary tool. I update mine regularly - to a DVD-RW disk that I use over and over...
    MS MCP, MCSE

run a hard drive diag first. I've seen that error a few times and it's usually a bad drive.

Thanks, my 1st thought was the harddrive until I read some searches.

Don't think I'll find any bugs, been told they do not have internet. Just games as I understand most all are preschool.