Thread: VOSTRO 1500 Problems!

VOSTRO 1500 Problems!

Hi all,

I have a problem with my new laptop: Vostro 1500. Here are my problems:

1. I can use my mouse USB & my Mass Storage Device USB (1 GB) normally, but when plugin another Mass Storage Device USB, the windows (Vista Home Basic) can't regconize the device. Nothing except my devices are accepted.

2. Everytime i'm playing video games, my system says i need to improve graphics resolution, driver, although i've already chosen the highest settings of resolution and can't find a new "official" driver for my vid (8600GT).

3. When open Bluetooth device, it asked for driver (just like when plugin a new Mass Storage Device).

So, am i missing drivers or my system has problems? Please help me solve my problems!

Thanks!

All drivers which are installed on my Vostro 1500

The problems appear in my Device Manager list

I have the same model with XP.

You need to go into Disk Management to assign letters to new drives. Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Disk Management is on the lower left.

All drivers for your model are available at the Dell Support site or through The "Dell Support Center" application on your Programs menu. Drivers and Downloads are on the left there too. It will take you to the web page with the your drivers.

The 8600GT in your laptop is a Dell version. You can only use the drivers from the Dell site - which work fine BTW. Go to Dell > Support (upper right corner) and choose drivers and downloads. Select your laptop > Vostro > 1500. The Bluetooth drivers are under Network.

Why is your laptop so messed up? They come from the factory with the correct setup. Did you reinstall Windows or something? These are new models. You should still be under warranty...
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-06-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    I have the same model with XP.

You need to go into Disk Management to assign letters to new drives. Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Disk Management is on the lower left.

All drivers for your model are available at the Dell Support site or through The "Dell Support Center" application on your Programs menu. Drivers and Downloads are on the left there too. It will take you to the web page with the your drivers.

---> i search through their driver pages, sure, i miss something, but still don't understand: why is only my usb pen worked, the others are not?
    The 8600GT in your laptop is a Dell version. You can only use the drivers from the Dell site - which work fine BTW. Go to Dell > Support (upper right corner) and choose drivers and downloads. Select your laptop > Vostro > 1500. The Bluetooth drivers are under Network.
    ---> Sure. Only Dell has the driver and this driver is the only one on earth! But you know, gaming is advance everyday, so the driver will come to age. If we don't update to the newest, sure, we'll drop out of the scene!

Why is your laptop so messed up? They come from the factory with the correct setup. Did you reinstall Windows or something? These are new models. You should still be under warranty...
    ---> Yup, i format everything, include deleted the default drive that contains dell drivers. I want my laptop follows my way, not dell's way! I don't lile default friend! I love to meet these problems, through them, i've learned computer, just like before!

Thanks for reply!

Dell does update the nVidia drivers, just not as often as nVidia does.

If you're going to format a computer, you should download the proper drivers before doing so. That is called preparation.
    why is only my usb pen worked, the others are not?
    I don't understand this. What is a "USB pen"? What other devices do not work?

The Vostro comes with very little extra software and all of it can be removed in Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Formatting the drive was overkill. By doing so, you lost MediaDirect and the diagnostic partition. I have many years of experience with PCs and I would never have done that.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Oh - you mean "flash drive". As I said, if they work, you can find them in Disk Management. Please look there.

By the way, you voided your warranty by formatting. You don't seem to have all of the skills that a person needs to service their own laptop, so formatting was not the best idea.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-06-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    Oh - you mean "flash drive". As I said, if they work, you can find them in Disk Management. Please look there.
    Yup, but i don't know why only my flash drive works? Mouse or gamepad work well too, except removable HDDs, flash drives (from my friends, not mine )! When i plug one of the "un-works" into my laptop, windows regconize it but require "driver"! Why? Why it doesn't require my flash drive's driver?

I checked dell's driver page for newest VGA driver, but find the same source as stay in my laptop (see 1st picture of this topic)

I choose the way to format Vostro, because:

1. waste for disk space: 10 GB for storage drivers!
    2. Vista doesn't allow us divide more than 2 partitions (if i'm not wrong with this ). I hate the way vista does, but want to try this OS! If not, i will choose XP for better gaming!

Some of my device manager & disk management pics! See if you find any problems?

Please stop posting those HUGE pictures. Try cropping them before posting. FOr all of their size, they are still difficult to read.

You need to scroll down in Disk Management to find the drive and assign a letter.

Since your Dell Bluetooth device is installed, I have no idea what those other Bluetooth devices are. Did you plug something else into the laptop?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Sorry for posting huge pics.

I let Vista decides which letter is fit for a drive.

About Bluetooth, as u see in my pics, driver is already but when i open my cellphone and want to transfer things in-out, windows always askes "driver"!

Hahaha, my laptop is strange!

Every new flash drive is going to try to take the first available letter. This is why you should assign a separate high letter to each flash drive.

The cellphone is a Bluetooth device! You must install the cellphone software.

You don't want Dell to set up your PC, but you are willing to let Vista assign drive letters! That is not very consistent. You want to be in control, but you lack basic knowledge of how Windows works. That is the road to Hell, my friend.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-06-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hahahah, then i'll go to hell! this is the 1st time i'm using vista and laptop, so, so many things are new here and i'm still learning more and more! Anyway, thanks for your advices!