Thread: Heat pipe cooling

Ultimate Member

Heat pipe cooling

I've been looking at the different kinds of CPU/Vid card heat pipe heat sinks, and something crossed my mind. Is there any that have a forced air system blowing through the heatpipes? Something like a small fan blowing into a manifold that's connected to the heatpipes and exhausting through open pipe ends. This seems like a better way to dissapate heat other than conduction/convection through fins.

maybe I'm not following you right, but heatpipes are sealed and have liquid in them. you can't blow air through them.

Ultimate Member
    I didn't know that heatpipes were liquid filled. But, would forced air be better than static (non moving) coolant?

no, the liquid has a higher thermal conductivity than air. The liquid is moving via capillary action.

THE HEATSINK GUIDE: Heat pipe information

Ultimate Member
    OK, I think I've got it. But , are both ends of the heatpipes capped off? Or, are they one continuos loop of pipe?

each end is capped. it's not a loop. basically hot liquid goes up, cooled liquid moves down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Have you looked at the Deluxed or special editions of the ASUS mobos?

they all come with heat pipes, and yes with air fan induction.

me using 1 as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by dawgtuff
    I've been looking at the different kinds of CPU/Vid card heat pipe heat sinks, and something crossed my mind. Is there any that have a forced air system blowing through the heatpipes? Something like a small fan blowing into a manifold that's connected to the heatpipes and exhausting through open pipe ends. This seems like a better way to dissapate heat other than conduction/convection through fins.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5