Thread: Comparison...PC Tools vs. AVG (& Iolo)

Comparison...PC Tools vs. AVG (& Iolo)

Hello...

Was reading an article in Sound-On-Sound magazine, by Martin Walker...who just started using PC Tools' Anti-Virus software (which is actually their spyware utility w/ anti-virus added)...& had a question.

The PC in question is my ADK Quad Core machine I use in my recording/mastering studio. It also happens to be my only computer; & as such, is connected to the internet. The mfg. (ADK) was not thrilled about anything w/ the name Norton or Symantec attached to it...& recommended I go w/ AVG...which I did. But I also use...as a system diagnostic utility...System Mechanic...by Iolo...which I do not like...& which I'm thinking about dumping, to pick up PC Tools CCleaner.

Where I'm going w/ this is...I would like for ALL my security & diagnostic functionality to be implemented by one mfg...& I like the way PC Tools works, in general (using Registry mechanic at present; & really like it).

So:

1) Is there a huge difference in the virus protection afforded by PC Tools vs. AVG?

2) Can anyone here compare CCleaner w/ System Mechanic?

Thanks,

mark4man

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    System Mechanic can get you into trouble faster and worse off than ccleaner can.

Seen lots of folks have to do a clean install because they use those types of programs.

ADK did steer you right, anything but Nortons and McAsee.

Unless you install / uninstall alot of software and hardware, CCleaner is all anyone really needs , along with a good defrag program. Unless your experiencing problems there is no need to clean the registry.

I know nothing of PC Tool's , but AVG has always proved to me to be inadequate at preventing infection. I would recommend something else , such as NOD32, Kapersky , AntiVir or Avast. All of which offer good all-in-one protection suites. I'm personally using McAfee Internet Security Suite w/ Vista without any problems on my laptop (knock on wood).

Keep in mind that all the new security suite offerings these days are very robust and take a lot of system resources to run. Meaning they will effect system performance. I would recommend you test with the trial versions to see how your system performs. Adding more memory usually helps.

I have used PC Pitstop occasionally over the past ten years or so and they are fairly good with diagnostics and solutions.

I use Avast now on all 64 bit systems, I liked AVG but it had been 32 bit only (Still may be, dunno) I get McAfee free with Comcast for 32 bit systems so I use it now. (Bloatware, but free bloatware )

I think Ad Ware is still the biggest evil and I regularly use Spyblaster, Spybot S&D, and AdAware with good results there. Spy Blaster is a soft firewall, Spybot a bit more serious and helpful. AdAware uses a different search engine and Database

I have tried using each one first and they both seem to catch different things.

I am heavy into Vista 64 bit now and miss the graphical information that Win XP gave me on Defrag. I still force a defrag regularly (Rather than when Vista wants to)
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

I use CCleaner, and like it.

Am currently trying out PC tools AV, and their firewall; I like them both. I used to use AVG free. I don't notice a difference between them, but I've never had a virus/trojan on my pc either. I use the AV program to scan e-mails that I receive. Both AVG, and PC tools AV scan e-mail. PC tools has a very interesting app that you can add to increase your protection, http://www.threatfire.com/ , using it along with AV/firewall should afford a decent level of protection for free.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Thanks, all...!!!

Good advice...all the way around...very useful.

Thanks again [& I'll check back in when I've made the switch (System Mechanic to PC Tools)].

mark4man

Yeah.. to each thier own. But, IMO, most all these guys are very knowledgable, and trustworthy and would not steer ya wrong. ( we hope. Ha Ha )

Every so often for no paticular reason and at times for a good reason, i go about and look up tech. info and what others use for this or that, esp. the good moderators here as a ref. The link porvided in this forum is great for starters.

The problem with alot of free offerings , and that includes the best out there is, the full features are not present or offered for trial versions. This being, one cannot get a true knowledge or feel , for how it is going to fully do its job or affect ones computer.

I just wanted to add that last night, I myself cleaned some house and started using a different AntiSpyware program, and also downloaded a new Firewall i had been turned on to by a coulple of the mods here.
    Currently i am using Counterspy V2, s it is just about the best overall rated software on the market period. They offer a 15 day trial ( full featuered ) and the full product is only $19.99 for a year single computer susbsription. It does work great by the way and catches just about eveything out there.
    I also use the other non-startup options like Spywareblaster, Spybot S & D, and currently and for a long time use Avira's 'AntiVirus'.

As a personal note of observation and good advice; Try not to use registry cleaners so much. You will find that even the best ones can mess things up upon occasion, and one should not trust if computer illiterate. Remember, companies are in the business of marketing thier products, and most will see thiers as the best. LOL

There are always going to be quite a few optons avail. for what they all call the best programs out there. often times its a matter of esp. and personal pref. Listen to the pros. They are that for good reason.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 05-04-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I like, and use free apps myself.

If you feel the need to clean up the registry, this app is very good. It automatically marks safe to delete, and does not mark unsafe entries. Unless you know what you are doing, just have it remove the safe to remove entries. It has settings to back up and restore ( always do the back up ) any changes you make. Nice program, and free.

http://www.wisecleaner.com/
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE